RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2014-#173 contents with links :: Sunday 10 August 2014
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2014-#173 :: Sunday 10 August 2014
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. Handelsblatt (Germany): Gabor Steingart, The West on the wrong path. In view of the events in Ukraine, the government and many media have switched from level-headed to agitated. The spectrum of opinions has been narrowed to the width of a sniper scope. The politics of escalation does not have a realistic goal – and harms German interests.
2. http://reconsideringrussia.org: Pietro Shakarian, Donbas Tragedy.
3. RIA Novosti: Russia’s Lavrov Urges Humanitarian Aid, Ceasefire in Eastern Ukraine.
4. Reuters: Ukrainian forces encircle rebel-held city, talk of truce collapses,
5. The Telegraph (UK): Christopher Booker, Fresh evidence of how the West lured Ukraine into its orbit.The West is demonising President Putin when what set this crisis in motion were recklessly provocative moves to absorb Ukraine into the EU.
6. New York Times: Andrew Weiss, Is Putin Really Cornered? Talk to Russia About Ukraine.
7. Bloomberg: World War on Russia’s Mind When U.S. Duels Over Ukraine.
8. Huffingtonpost.com: Raymond J. Learsy, The Crisis With Russia And The Unspoken Link.
9. Consortium News: Robert Parry, Was Putin Targeted for Mid-Air Assassination?
10. New York Times: Ukraine Strategy Bets on Restraint by Russia.
11. Washington Post editorial: Russia’s quiet repression.
12. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: After Putin, Russia Will Be Either Fascist or Federalized, Ukrainian Analyst Says.
13. Press TV: West has no plan to end civil war in Ukraine: Analyst, (Dmitry Babich)
14. Press TV: West forced Kiev to cut Russian ties: Dmitry Babich.
15. Digital Journal: Calvin Wolf, Cornering Putin may not be comfortable, but it is necessary.
16. The XX Committee: John R. Schindler, Putin’s War and the Hitler Thing.
17. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Confused Ponderer, “The West on the wrong path”, or rolling dice as foreign policy.