RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2014-#172 contents with links :: Friday 8 August 2014
Johnson’s Russia List
JRL 2014-#172 :: Friday 8 August 2014
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. American Thinker: Henry Meyer, How to Solve the Putin Problem.
2. Facebook: Alexander Mercouris, Plotting the Assassination of Putin.
3. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: Putinism Resembles ‘a Fascist Dictatorship,’ Eidman Says.
4. RIA Novosti: Euromaidan Activists Protesting Kiev’s Operation in Eastern Ukraine.
5. Foxnews.com: Ukraine’s Donetsk becomes ghost town as national forces shell separatists.
6. AP: Deadly Mortar Fire Hits Donetsk Hospital In Embattled East Ukraine.
7. Interfax: Lugansk has no power, water, phone service for six days – mayor.
8. www.rt.com: Horror in Lugansk: Family of 5 killed in E.Ukraine after Kiev shells their home.
9. Patrick Armstrong: RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 7 August 2014.
10. Voice of Russia: Russia’s fortitude and attitude make it a ‘good target’ for US media. (inteview with Andrei P. Tsygankov)
11. www.rt.com: ‘West and Russia would gain more if they talk to each other and cooperate.’ (interview with Michael Maloof)
12. Moscow Times: Putin’s Rating Immune to Food Ban for Now.
13. Financial Times: Russian consumers prepared to swallow food ban.
14. RIA Novosti: Russia’s Food Embargo ‘Smart’ Response to Western Sanctions – US Economist.
15. Interfax: Naryshkin hopes Europe will understand risk of unwinding sanctions spiral.
16. RIA Novosti: Ukrainian Transit Not Crucial For Russian Oil Deliveries to Europe – Transneft.
17. Moscow Times: Ukraine Says Rebels Mistook Doomed Flight MH17 for Aeroflot Plane.
18. New Straits Times (Malaysia): US analysts conclude MH17 downed by aircraft.
19. Washington Times: Doug Bandow, A tragedy in Ukraine, not a cause for war. Malaysian Air shootdown shouldn’t tempt an American intervention.
20. Washington Post: Kimberly Marten, Why arming Ukraine is a bad idea.
21. The Economist editorial: Russia and the West. How to lose friends. Vladimir Putin pretends that he can make Russia self-sufficient and strong.
22. http://usforeignpolicy.blogs.lalibre.be: Gilbert Doctorow, House of Cards and the Obama Administration’s Policy on Russia.
23. ITAR-TASS: Russia to create rapid reaction force as relations with West get strained.
24. Paul Goble: Window on Eurasia: Putin has Turned the Clock Back to July 1938, Felshtinsky Says.