RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2014-#132 contents with links :: Sunday 15 June 2014
Johnson’s Russia List :: 2014-#132 :: 15 June 2014
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. In Moscow’s Shadows: Mark Galeotti, Those Mysterious Tanks in Ukraine.
2. 34th Annual U.S. – RUSSIA FORUM 2014. Advancing a Constructive Agenda for U.S. – Russia Relations. June 16 – 17, 2014 Washington, DC.
3. Facebook: Alexander Mercouris, Comment on Russia, the US, and Ukraine.
4. www.rt.com: Cohen on Ukraine civil war: ‘Lincoln didn’t call Confederates terrorists.’ (interview with Stephen Cohen)
5. The Guardian (UK): Ukraine’s humanitarian crisis worsens as tens of thousands flee combat in east. Appalling conditions force exodus from Slavyansk as daily shelling disrupts food supply.
6. Reuters: NATO says Russia considers it an opponent, prepares Ukraine aid.
7. Reuters: Ukraine minister under fire for swearing about Putin.
8. Euromaidan PR: Kolomoyskiy offered a project of an enforced line at the 1900-km Russian border to Poroshenko, and he is ready to invest in construction.
9. Euromaidan PR: Russian terrorists using hostages as human shields.
10. Voices of Ukraine: Mykola Savelyev, Our Enemies Will Vanish?
11. Euromaidan PR: Lustration committee: Lustration in Ukraine failed.
12. Kyiv Post: Dmitry Tymchuk’s military blog: No end to Kremlin cynicism.
13. Kyiv Post: Natalia Melnychuk, How many Ukrainians have to be killed before the West imposes tough sanctions against Russia?
14. AP: Militant bravado wins support for Ukraine radical.
15. www.aljazeera.com: Maidan Square reflects Ukraine’s chaos. Street vendors peddle nationalist knickknacks as uprising’s centre remains filled with barricades, radicals and drunks.
16. www.rt.com: Ukrainian airstrike kills over 50 self-defense fighters in Kramatorsk, injures 150.
17. ITAR-TASS: Ukrainian army continues fire on Slavyansk downtown.
18. Reuters: Ukraine expects gas talks with Russia as deadline looms.
19. www.rt.com: Gas talks stall because Kiev had little “grasp on reality”
20. www.opendemocracy.net: David Marples, Igor Strelkov – Moscow agent or military romantic? Who is Igor Strelkov? He has power, but by whose authority?
21. Financial Times: Cossacks emerge as a potent force in east Ukraine.
22. http://grahamwphillips.com: Graham Phillips, Why the Western World is On Ukraine’s Side – 10 Reasons.
23. Forbes.com: Mark Adomanis, Vladimir Putin’s Approval Rating Is Still Higher Than It’s Been In A Long Time.
24. The Economist: The curse of corruption in Ukraine. Ostrich zoo and vintage cars. The fight against corruption is a steep uphill battle.
25. http://reconsideringrussia.org: Pietro Shakarian, Between East and West: The Curious Case of Kirovograd.
26. New York Times: After Annexing Crimea, Euphoric Russia Turns Thoughts to Ukraine.
27. The National Interest: John Nelson, Ukraine: Reuniting a House Divided. “Everyone knows what they’re fighting against, but no one knows what they’re fighting for.”
28. Council on Foreign Relations transcript: What To Do About Russia and Ukraine.