RUSSIA & UKRAINE: JRL 2014-#109 contents with links :: Sunday 18 May 2014
Johnson’s Russia List :: 2014-#109 :: 18 May 2014
A project of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs: www.ieres.org
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
1. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation: Interview of the Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov to “Bloomberg TV”, Moscow, 14th of May 2014.
2. http://reconsideringrussia.org: Pietro Shakarian, The Historical Geography of Ukraine: An Overview.
3. AP: Eastern Ukrainians rap Kiev in talks.
4. Reuters: Failing Ukraine state plays in to Russia’s hands.
5. Kyiv Post: Dmitry Tymchuk’s military blog: Terrorist designation should help.
6. www.rt.com: Ukrainian ultranationalist leader calls for guerilla war against pro-federalists.
7. http://darussophile.com: Alexander Mercouris, THE “ANTI TERRORIST OPERATION” IN THE UKRAINE HAS BEEN A DISASTER.
8. The National Interest: Mikhail Pogrebinsky, The Complex Calculus of the Ukraine Crisis. Is there a way out?
9. The National Interest: Michael Kofman, The Battle for Ukraine: Who Is Winning?
10. Washington Post: Ukraine’s richest man enters dispute in eastern region.
11. http://streetwiseprofessor.com: Craig Pirrong, Going All Medieval in Ukraine.
12. Reuters: Religious tensions deepen Ukraine splits – Russian Orthodox official.
13. Moscow Times: Poroshenko Could Win Ukraine Election in First Round, Poll Says.
14. The Times (UK): Party over for former darling of Ukraine. (Yuliya Tymoshenko)
15. Wall Street Journal: Andriy Parubiy, Ukraine Needs Immediate U.S. Military Aid. Antitank and antiaircraft weaponry are essential to deterring Putin’s aggression.
16. Reuters: Ukraine crisis will be “game changer” for NATO.
17. The American Conservative: James Carden, The Senate’s Bipartisan Ukraine Mistake.
18. Washington Post: Erik Herron, Is Ukraine ready to vote?
19. The Economist: Ukraine’s troubles. Into battle. Despite all the fighting the country could just hold together after May 25th.
20. http://reconsideringrussia.org: Pietro Shakarian, Social Democracy, Not Nationalism, Is What Ukraine Needs.
21. Kyiv Post: Oleh Tiahnybok, Rescue nationalism from ‘Pandora’s box’
22. The Guardian: Tony Brenton, The unfolding Ukraine crisis signals a new world order. The best outcome for Ukraine, and for the west, would be an agreement with Russia to get the great powers out.
23. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Crimean Tatar community representatives.
24. Kremlin.ru: Message to the leaders of European countries regarding the supply and transit of Russian gas across the territory of Ukraine.
25. Reuters: Gazprom head soothes Europe over gas supply via Ukraine.
26. New York Times: In Taking Crimea, Putin Gains a Sea of Fuel Reserves.
27. Reuters: Russia-China gas deal “one digit” away – Gazprom.
28. The BRICS Post: Russia-China to sign 30 agreements next week.
29. http://vineyardsaker.blogspot.com: I love the BBC!
30. The Real News: Is Ukraine Entering A Revolutionary Moment? Professor Aleksandr Buzgalin discusses the recent referendums for independence in Ukraine’s eastern regions.
31. Wall Street Journal: Stephen Sestanovich, Fighting ‘Fascism’ Isn’t the Way to Stop Putin.
32. Washington Post: Russian President Putin builds ties in Moldova, Kazakhstan and Baltics.
33. Forbes.com: Mark Adomanis, The Crisis In Ukraine Is Crippling Russia’s Foreign Trade.
34. The Independent on Sunday (UK): Ukraine crisis in space: US takes on the Russians, only this time it’s over the International Space Station.
35. Naked Capitalism: Michael Hudson, The New Cold War’s Ukraine Gambit.