RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#138 :: Friday, 31 July 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#138 :: Friday, 31 July 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. rt.com: Despite city reopening, Moscow’s July Covid-19 infection down 50% on June – but mayor warns situation may worsen again in fall.
2. rt.com: Russian & US scientists vow to fight Covid-19 PANDEMIC together amidst political animosity.
3. Moscow Times: Alexander Baunov, The Perils of Perestroika: Why Putin Chose to Prolong His Rule. To answer why Putin decided to stay on, observers must examine the president’s views on Russia’s twentieth-century history and the legacy he inherited from his two predecessors.
4. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrei Kolesnikov, Russia’s Permanent Revolution of Dignity. Each new wave of Russian protests since 2011 – whether political or initially depoliticized (over landfills, housing development projects and so on) – is at heart prompted by an insult to people’s dignity.
5. Interfax: Putin signs law allowing 3-day voting in elections, referenda
6. rt.com: Ciara Haley, At first, #MeToo failed to take off in Russia – can it transcend Moscow’s liberal circles at the second attempt? (Excerpt) – rt.com/russia/495994-sexual-harassment-russia-journalists/
7. Moscow Times: Fire and Brimstone: The Rise and Fall of Russia’s Coronavirus-Denying Rebel Priest.
8. Russia Beyond: 3 Russian movies at the 2020 Venice Film Festival – rbth.com/arts/332521-russian-movies-2020-venice
9. Moscow Times: ‘The Master and Margarita’ Named Most Popular Russian Prison Read
10. RFE/RL: Pompeo Says U.S. Will ‘Do Everything’ To Stop Nord Stream 2 Project.
11. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kortunov, A Year Without the INF Treaty: You Need an Umbrella During Rainy Season – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/a-year-without-the-inf/
12. rt.com: Finian Cunningham, Why the US really accuses Russia & China of weaponizing space – rt.com/op-ed/496679-us-russia-china-space-weaponizing/
13. Russian International Affairs Council: Alexey Khlebnikov, The Future of Humanitarian Aid Delivery to Syria: What is Russia’s Rationale? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/the-future-of-humanitarian-aid-delivery-to-syria-what-is-russia-s-rationale/
14. Meduza: Moscow’s cozy vista. Belarusian and Russian political experts explain the Kremlin’s options in Minsk ahead of an uncertain presidential election.
15. TASS: Izvestia: Detention of Russians in Belarus might force Moscow to keep border closed.
16. Intellinews: Huge crowd turns out in Svetlana Tikhanovskaya’s support rally-concert in Minsk. Belarusian opposition candidate Svetlana Tikhanovskaya’s campaign for president has already gathered inspiring momentum with a huge rally in Minsk attended by an estimated 63,000 people.
17. stalkerzone.org: It’s Time for Lukashenko to Prepare Three Envelopes – stalkerzone.org/its-time-for-lukashenko-to-prepare-three-envelopes/
18. The Economist editorial: Putin’s pal in peril. The right way to get rid of President Alexander Lukashenko. If change comes to Belarus, let it be peaceful.
19. Counterpunch: T.J. Coles, The Space Wars Have Begun – counterpunch.org/2020/07/31/the-space-wars-have-begun/
20. Council on Foreign Relations: [U.S.] Election Spotlight: Russia.
21. Antiwar.com: Danny Sjursen, The Russians Are(n’t) Coming!: Paul Reveres, the Washington Hawks Are Not. One’s opinion on the multiplicity of Russia-inflected-“gates” is now a lucidity litmus test. Spoiler alert: D.C. is apparently an open-air psych ward – original.antiwar.com/Danny_Sjursen/2020/07/30/the-russians-arent-coming-paul-reveres-the-washington-hawks-are-not/
22. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, AUSTRIA CONFIRMS OPCW REPORT ON SKRIPAL FAKING BY THE BRITISH – VIENNA EXPOSES FINANCIAL TIMES LIES AND COVER-UP – johnhelmer.net/austria-confirms-opcw-report-on-skripal-faking-by-the-british-vienna-exposes-financial-times-lies-and-cover-up/print/
23. UNIAN (Kyiv): Kravchuk names possible compromises with Russia on Donbas.
24. The National Interest: Iuliia Mendel, Why Ukraine Really Is On the Road to Reform. We need to change the narrative of self-victimization in society and aggressive manners towards each other.
25. New Cold War: Dmitriy Kovalevich, July update: the challenges of war and independence in Ukraine. (Excerpt) – newcoldwar.org/july-update-the-challenges-of-war-and-independence-in-ukraine/
26. Reuters: U.S. Lawmakers Offer Bill to Boost Aid for Ukraine Military.
27. Foreign Policy: Democrats See Senate Republicans Vulnerable Due to Trump’s Russia Problem