RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#133 :: Friday, 24 July 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#133 :: Friday, 24 July 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, With Siberia in flames, climate change hits home for Russia. Siberia may be best known for being cold. But this summer, large parts of it are in flames – a state of affairs that Russian scientists say is a byproduct of climate change, and is likely to end up accelerating the process.
2. Counterpunch: Robert Hunziker, Thawing Arctic Permafrost – counterpunch.org/2020/07/24/thawing-arctic-permafrost/
3. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russia, NATO drifting towards Arctic standoff.
4. rt.com: 52% of Russians say they’re not entirely satisfied with their lives – state pollster.
5. Meduza: Russia’s way out . Microbiologist Denis Logunov explains his headstart on a coronavirus vaccine and why a two-vector approach promises better immunity. [Longer interview in Russian: meduza.io/feature/2020/07/23/sozdatel-rossiyskoy-vaktsiny-ot-koronavirusa-denis-logunov-dal-meduze-pervoe-bolshoe-intervyu-on-rasskazal-stoit-li-zhdat-privivok-k-sentyabryu-2020-goda]
6. TASS: Izvestia: Russians ditching face masks.
7. Russia Beyond: How coronavirus changed habits & daily life of Russians – rbth.com/lifestyle/332482-coronavirus-changed-habits-daily-life
8. rt.com: After 4-month suspension, Russia to resume international flights from August 1; UK & Turkey among first destinations.
9. Meduza: A second chance for LDPR, but hardly a thought for the protests.
10. stalkerzone.org: Facts of the Furgal Case That Are Inconvenient for MSM Propagandists – stalkerzone.org/facts-of-the-furgal-case-that-are-inconvenient-for-msm-propagandists/
11. Twitter: Ollie Richardson, Mini-thread about liberal youth in Russia.
12. Wall Street Journal: Russia Cuts Interest Rates to Record Low. Recession-hit Russian economy is under pressure from the pandemic and low oil prices.
13. New York Times: A Russian Gas Pipeline Increases Tension Between the U.S. and Europe. The Nord Stream 2 Russia-to-Germany pipeline is 94 percent complete. Washington wants to keep it that way.
14. Oilprice.com: Russia Considers Emulating The World’s Largest Oil Hedge.
15. Mark Galeotti: Re: Subject: A comment on Galeotti. (re Nicolai Petro)
16. Counterpunch: T.J. Coles, UK-Russia Report: the Integrity Initiative Strikes Again! – counterpunch.org/2020/07/24/uk-russia-report-the-integrity-initiative-strikes-again/
17. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 23 JULY 2020 – patrickarmstrong.ca/2020/07/23/russian-federation-sitrep-23-july-2020/
18. Russia Beyond: 5 reasons to read Zakhar Prilepin’s ‘The Monastery’ – rbth.com/arts/332481-zakhar-prilepin-monastery
19. The Conversation: James Rodgers, From Lenin to Putin: Russia’s turbulent history as told by the foreign press
20. Newsweek: Alex Hudson, Second Cold War With Russia Could Last 40 Years
21. Kennan Institute: Ani Kokobobo and Colleen Lucey, If You Thought US-Russian Relations Were Bad Now, Wait Another 10 Years.
22. Facebook: Fred Weir, Comment re “If You Thought US-Russian Relations Were Bad Now, Wait Another 10 Years”
23. rt.com: US Space Force accuses Russia of testing ‘weapon-like’ anti-satellite device in orbit.
24. rt.com: Trump tells Putin he wants to avoid three-way arms race with Russia & China.
25. TASS: Unabating US protests raise serious questions about Trump’s re-election chances – expert – tass.com/world/1182011
26. Jacobin: Branko Marcetic, Trump the “Putin Puppet” Just Dramatically Escalated the Undeclared War Against Russia. The national security state has claimed a dangerous new victory: receiving authorization from Trump to conduct cyberattacks against enemies around the world with greater leeway – especially Russia. It’s the latest success for a years-long pressure campaign by the national security bureaucracy centered on Orwellian claims that Trump’s foreign policy is somehow pro-Russian. – jacobinmag.com/2020/07/donald-trump-putin-russiagate
27. TASS: Vedomosti: Parties to Donbass conflict agree to ceasefire monitoring measures.
28. New Cold War: US presidential election and prospects of Kiev advance in eastern Ukraine – newcoldwar.org/us-presidential-election-and-prospects-of-kiev-advance-in-eastern-ukraine/
29. Washington Post: Russia’s disinformation campaigns are targeting African Americans
30. The Hill: How Russian imperialism could bring down Putin
31. NPR: Democrats Go On Offense On Russian Election Interference As November Approaches.