RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2020-#116 :: Monday, 29 June 2020
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2020-#116 :: Monday, 29 June 2020
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, AFGHAN TALES – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2020/06/28/afghan-tales/
2. rt.com: ‘Russian bounties for Taliban’ story clearly meant to derail US military pullout, says Moscow’s special envoy to Afghanistan – rt.com/news/493210-taliban-bounties-us-pullout/
3. Facebook: Fred Weir, Russian skulduggery in Afghanistan.
4. Facebook: Sean Guillory, My thoughts on Russia paid the Taliban to kill American soldiers.
5. George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies: David Lewis, Return to Kabul? Russian Policy in Afghanistan
6. rt.com: Scott Ritter, New York Times takes anti-Russian hysteria to new level with report on Russian ‘bounty’ for US troops in Afghanistan – rt.com/op-ed/493174-nyt-report-russia-afghanistan/
7. Meduza: Election officials report nearly 40 percent turnout in Russia’s ongoing constitutional plebiscite.
8. AFP: Exit Poll Shows Russians Strongly Backing Constitution Reforms.
9. rt.com: 76% of early voters say YES to constitutional changes, which could keep Putin in power until 2036 – exit polls.
10. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Moscow Poll on Russia’s Constitutional Referendum – unz.com/akarlin/moscow-poll-on-russias-constitutional-referendum/
11. AFP: Russia’s opposition flounders as Putin changes constitution
12. Asia Times: Moscow shocker: Navalny speaks out on Russian TV. Network airs criticism of Russian President Vladimir Putin by long-time Kremlin foe Aleksei Navalny
13. Moscow Times: Russia’s Coronavirus Cases Surpass 640K
15. TASS: Putin says convinced Russia will get over current crisis with minimal losses.
16. Wall Street Journal: Coronavirus Crisis Strains Russia’s Soviet-Era Regional Health System. Doctors, equipment and basic supplies run short as cases climb; some facilities lack running water
17. Bloomberg: Putin Seizes Moment to Rule Until He’s 83 Amid Fading Popularity
18. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, RUSSIAN EVOLUTION: Towards Orderly and Peaceful Regime Transformation in Russia
19. Los Angeles Time: Leon Aron, Putin is likely to win his bid to stay in power another decade, but at what cost?
20. Paul Goble: Putin Driving Russia to Where the USSR was in 1991, Zyuganov Says.
21. Kennan Institute: William Pomeranz, Russia’s Broken Constitution
22. rt.com: Three decades after Soviet collapse, Russia tells UN it’s eliminated ‘extreme’ poverty, but millions still require govt help
23. Bloomberg: Why the World Worries About Russia’s Natural Gas Pipeline.
24. David C. Speedie: Russia and the West
25. Russia in Global Affairs: Sergei Karaganov, THE FUTURE OF THE BIG TRIANGLE – eng.globalaffairs.ru/articles/future-big-triangle/
26. South China Morning Post editorial: US is shunning its responsibilities on arms control. Observers believe the American strategy is a cynical ploy to complicate and derail negotiations.
27. Twitter: Sergey Radchenko, Anatolii Adamishin’s memoir.
28. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, MH17 TRIAL PROSECUTORS WARN JUDGES NOT TO UNRAVEL UKRAINIAN COVER-UP, REJECT CALLING RUSSIAN GENERAL KONASHENKOV TO TESTIFY – johnhelmer.net/mh17-trial-prosecutors-warn-judges-not-to-unravel-ukrainian-cover-up-reject-calling-russian-general-konashenkov-to-testify/print/
29. Intellinews: Saakashvili says Russia “way ahead” of Ukraine in making reforms
30. TASS: Poll indicates sharp decline in Ukrainian president’s approval rating.
31. Awful Avalanche: More Wire-tapped Poroshenko Biden Conversations – Part II – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2020/06/27/more-wire-tapped-poroshenko-biden-conversations-part-ii/
32. rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Fake story on Russians paying Afghans ‘bounty’ to kill Americans latest example of appalling US/UK media coverage of Russia – rt.com/russia/493256-fake-afghan-tale-media-coverage/