RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#92 :: Monday, 3 June 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#92 :: Monday, 3 May 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. www.rt.com: ‘We are a patient country’: Putin spokesman says Kremlin keen on fresh Trump talks.
2. Paul Goble: 75 Percent of Residents of Major Russian Cities Use Internet Every Day; Only 70 Percent Watch TV that Often.
3. May 31, 2019: Generation Putin. ‘If not I, then who?’: Armed with the internet, Russia’s young people want to remake their world.
4. Interfax: Most Russians approve of President Putin’s job performance, say Russia heading in right direction – poll.
5. The Duran: George Callaghan, The popularity of Putin. Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin provides continuity and stability. – theduran.com/the-popularity-of-putin/
6. Forbes.com: James Rodgers, The Trickiest Task In Russian Politics? Reading President Putin’s Poll Numbers.
8. Russia Insider: Watch Putin Brainstorm With Young Scientists – How to Boost Science in Russia. (Russian TV News) – russia-insider.com/en/science-tech/watch-putin-brainstorm-young-scientists-how-boost-science-russia-russian-tv-news
9. Bloomberg: Putin’s Own Government Warns His Campaign Promises Can’t Be Met.
10. Russia Insider: Anatoly Karlin, Russians Beat Out Nazis as Top Villains in Mass-Market Video Games. – russia-insider.com/en/culture/russians-beat-out-nazis-top-villains-mass-market-video-games/ri27171
11. Paul Goble: Generational Change Makes Current Protests More Serious than Earlier Ones, Gontmakher Says.
12. AFP: DROWNING IN WASTE, RUSSIANS FUME OVER LACK OF RECYCLING. The rubbish towers above the Timokhovo dump outside Moscow, one of the biggest in Europe.
13. Financial Times: Russian billionaire pushes back over US sanctions. Viktor Vekselberg seen as pro-US but presence at Trump inauguration stoked controversy.
14. Financial Times: Kremlin says Michael Calvey may be released from house arrest. Move would mark shift in case that has shocked Russia’s business community.
15. TASS: Kremlin says it would ‘prefer’ to see Calvey attend SPIEF.
16. Bloomberg: Russia Holds Rare Earths But Mines Little. That’s Changing.
17. TASS: Izvestia: Expert highlights expectations from Xi’s upcoming visit to Russia.
18. TASS: Xi’s visit may offer new prospects for Russian-Chinese cooperation, experts say
19. The Siberian Times: Russia and China are connected: first bridge between the neighbours is joined together. Historic $307 million road link across the Amur River – known in China as the Heilongjiang River – will open in April 2020.
20. Wall Street Journal: In a Blow to Maduro, Russia Withdraws Key Defense Support to Venezuela. Russia has been one of Maduro’s major supporters in its standoff with the U.S.
21. Interfax: Peskov refers question on Russian specialists in Venezuela to organizations servicing hardware there.
22. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Russia has more in common with Israel than meets the eye.
23. Valdai Discussion Club: Oleg Barabanov, Taliban in Russia and the Future of Afghanistan. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/taliban-in-russia-and-future-of-afghanistan/
24. Asia Times: Manoj Kumar Mishra, Geopolitics and Russia’s peace initiatives.
25. TASS: Russian embassy in US criticizes Washington Post article on disarmament.
26. www.rt.com: A US-led military alliance is closing in on Russia – what you need to know. – rt.com/op-ed/460719-estonia-nationalists-usa-russia-nato/
27. www.rt.com: We didn’t order sex & drugs scenes to be cut from Elton John biopic, Russian culture ministry says.
28. AP: Russians Criticize Heavily Edited Version of Elton John Film.
29. www.rt.com: ‘Chernobyl’ is a blast of a TV series – but don’t call it ‘authentic’ – rt.com/news/460878-chernobyl-hbo-fake-soviet/
30. Live Science: There Are Still 10 Chernobyl-Style Reactors Operating Across Russia. How Do We Know They’re Safe?
31. TASS: RBC: Poroshenko to continue pursuing political career.
32. TASS: Loss of gas transit, ban on oil export from Russia to spell trouble for Ukraine – official.
33. Paul Goble: Ukraine Needs Peace, even a Humiliating Brest-Type One, to Become Strong, Pastukhov Says
34. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maidan shootings.
35. Awful Avalanche: Babchenko’s “Killer” Confesses: “I was a Ukrainian spy!” – Part I. – awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/06/02/babchenkos-killer-confesses-i-was-a-ukrainian-spy-part-i/
36. Ukrinform (Kyiv): Zelensky’s election may topple Putin’s regime in Russia – British journalist. (Edward Lucas)
37. Facebook: Fred Weir, Mueller Report.
38. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Larry Johnson, More Evidence of the Russian Meddling Lie. – turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2019/06/more-evidence-of-the-russian-meddling-lie-by-larry-c-johnson.html#more
39. The Hill: David Sloss, Could Russia swing the next presidential election?