RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#69 :: Tuesday, 23 April 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#69 :: Tuesday, 23 April 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Interfax: Russia might ratify Paris Agreement by yearend – Gordeyev,
2. Consortiumnews.com:The Buried Maidan Massacre and Its Misrepresentation by the West. The new Ukrainian government is fac ed with reopening an inquiry into evidence of an organized mass killing in Kiev that Poroshenko stonewalled. Ivan Katchanovski investigates. – consortiumnews.com/2019/04/22/the-buried-maidan-massacre-and-its-misrepresentation-by-the-west/
3. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, President Zelenskiy is the wind of change.
4. Moscow Times: Igor Ivanov, Helping Ukraine to Help Ourselves.Russia and the international community should take advantage of this window of opportunity.
5. Valdai Discussion Club: Artyom Kureev, Zelensky the Victor: Hopes and Reality.
6. Wall Street Journal: International Guesswork Follows Comedian’s Election in Ukraine. Victory of political novice resets calculations for West, Russia.
7. Moscow Times: Ukraine President-Elect Zelenskiy’s Positions on Russia, Explained.
8. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, No, Ukraine’s New President Zelenksiy Is Not Putin’s Puppet.
9. The Unz Report: Anatoly Karlin, Is Zelensky Putler’s Puppet? – unz.com/akarlin/zelensky-slave-of-putler/
10. Foreign Policy: Alexander Motyl, Ukraine’s TV President Is Dangerously Pro-Russian. Volodymyr Zelensky could become the country’s next real-life leader. If his show is any guide, Ukrainians should be worried.
11. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Putin’s ‘Sistema’: Authoritarian Imbalance Growing?
12. The National Interest: Christopher Marsh, Russia Sees Its Future in China and Eurasia. Putin’s ambitions reach beyond Russia’s near abroad and to the international system itself, in which it seeks to regain and retain its position as a great power.
13. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, CORRUPTING DEMOCRACY.
14. Paul Goble: ‘The Ice Will Melt and We Will All Die’ – Global Warming Seen Sparking Epidemics in Russia.
15. Intellinews.com: Russia’s real disposable incomes fall 2.3% in 1Q19 extending stagnation in incomes into sixth year.
16. TASS: Serebrennikov released from house arrest for good behavior, says court.
17. www.rt.com: With all due respect: Stalin-approving Russians don’t want to live in his time – poll.
18. Kennan Institute: Maxim Trudolyubov, Stalin as Superman and the Dangers of Polling in an Autocracy.
19. Russia Beyond: Will Russia be able to win a war without conscripts? – rbth.com/lifestyle/330270-win-a-war-without-coscripts
20. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, How Russia Can Help Break the Deadlock with North Korea. A Putin-Kim summit will mainly be another photo-op for the North Korean leader. But Moscow has more cards to play in Pyongyang than is commonly realized.
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Gleb Ivashentsov, Putin-Kim Summit: A Long Overdue Event. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/putin-kim-summit-long-overdue-event/
22. www.rt.com: Neil Clark, Hospitalized children & dead ducks? The ‘official’ Skripal narrative goes completely quackers. – rt.com/op-ed/457010-skripal-ducks-children-cia/]
23. Wall Street Journal: Mueller Report Sheds Light on Russia’s Concerns Over U.S. Sanctions. Report details efforts by Russian President Vladimir Putin to urge an oligarch to establish contact with the incoming Trump administration.
24. Foreign Policy: Mark Lawrence Schrad, Mueller’s Bombshells Are About Putin, Not Trump. The special counsel’s report reveals a disorganized government with unclear lines of authority-and not just in Washington.
25. Consortiumnews.com: Caitlin Johnstone, Debunking the ‘Assange is A Russian Agent’ Smear. The narrative that Assange worked for or knowingly conspired with the Russian government is a hallucination of the demented Russia hysteria which has infected all corners of mainstream political discourse. – consortiumnews.com/2019/04/22/debunking-the-assange-is-a-russian-agent-smear/
26. New York Times: A Reader’s Guide to the Journalism Behind the Mueller Report. If some of the revelations in Robert S. Mueller III’s redacted report sound familiar, it’s because many of them were previously published by The New York Times and other news outlets.
27. www.rt.com: MSM defends ‘extremely accurate’ Russiagate coverage despite Mueller report. – rt.com/usa/457039-cnn-mueller-report-coverage-collusion/
28. Washington Post: Michael McFaul, Russia attacked us. The Mueller report still doesn’t give us the full story.
29. The American Conservative: Peter Van Buren, Mueller Time is Finally Over. Despite some muddled dissent, the special counsel said clearly that Trump never committed a chargeable crime.
30. EMBASSY OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: THE RUSSIAGATE HYSTERIA: A CASE OF SEVERE RUSSOPHOBIA. [Link to their 120-page PDF: washington.mid.ru/upload/iblock/3c3/3c3d1e3b69a4c228e99bfaeb5491ecd7.pdf]
31. Sean’s Russia Blog Podcast: Transcript: Peering Under the Rug: Sources of Information about Russia. Sean Guillory with Mark Galeotti, Keven Rothrock, and Maxim Trudolyubov.