RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#64 :: Tuesday, 16 April 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#64 :: Tuesday, 16 April 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. www.rt.com: Putin offers to send Russia’s ‘best experts’ to help restore Notre Dame Cathedral.
2. TASS: Nearly half of Russians believe Assange is mass media freedom champion.
3. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Militaristic and anti-democratic, Ukraine’s far-right bides its time. There are few countries in Europe that don’t have a problem with the far-right. But for Ukraine, where political stability is tenuous, the defiance and impunity of ultra-nationalist groups pose an acute concern.
4. RFE/RL: Russian Duma Approves Sovereign-Internet Bill.
5. TASS: Russia’s State Duma adopts Stable Runet law.
6. Moscow Times: Stalin’s Approval Rating Among Russians Hits Record High – Poll.
7. www.rt.com: Russia ready for global internet shutdown, can sustain its own web – MPs.
8. Intellinews.com: German investments in Russia reach their highest level in the last decade.
9. Reuters: Upstart Russian Oil Firm, With Goldman Sachs Backing, Bucks Industry Blues.
10. The Spectator (UK): Mark Galeotti, Some Russians think Britain’s bungled Brexit is just an illusion.
11. TASS: Izvestia: Summer warming as Russian, US lawmakers may meet in July.
12. Sergey Rogov: Russian-American Conference on Arms Control.
13. TASS: Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Outgoing NATO brass ‘worried’ about relations with Russia.
14. Russian International Affairs Council: Russian Mamedov, Escape from Responsibility: the U.S. Is Looking for a Way Out of Afghanistan.
15. Gazeta.ru editorial: Bipolar world? What is dividing the United States and Russia? The Kremlin has commented on the conflict in Libya.
16. Russia in Global Affairs: Maksim Suchkov, Moscow cultivates neutral image as Libya quakes. – eng.globalaffairs.ru/book/Moscow-cultivates-neutral-image-as-Libya-quakes-20013
17. Kyiv Post: Zelenskiy polls at 72.2 percent, Poroshenko 25.4 percent.
18. Reuters: Poroshenko 2.0: Ukraine Leader Reboots Campaign Ahead of Presidential Run-Off.
19. Kennan Institute: Serhiy Kudelia, Could a Zelensky Presidency Prove a Breakthrough for Conflict Resolution in the Donbas?
20. Vedomosti: Russia now sees Ukraine as ‘West’, paper says. (Alexei Levinson)
21. Brookings: Steven Pifer, Five key things to know about Ukraine’s presidential election.
22. Salon.com: Bob Cesca, Whatever Mueller reports, Trump has done nothing to stop Russian attacks in 2020. Want an impeachable offense? Trump covered up the last Russian attack and seems to be begging for another. – salon.com/2019/04/16/whatever-mueller-reports-trump-has-done-nothing-to-stop-russian-attacks-in-2020/
23. Justsecurity.org: John Sipher, Is Trump a Russian Agent?: Explaining Terms of Art and Examining the Facts. – justsecurity.org/63660/is-trump-a-russian-agent-explaining-terms-of-art-and-examining-the-facts/
24. Washington Post: Gary Abernathy, Admit it: Fox News has been right all along. It behooves serious journalists to delve into a story that might actually be worthy of Watergate comparisons.
25. Washington Examiner: Becket Adams, It’s Pulitzer time – last year’s prize for Russia collusion reporting looks pretty dumb in hindsight.
26. Moon of Alabama: CIA Director Used Fake Skripal Incident Photos To Manipulate Trump. – moonofalabama.org/2019/04/cia-director-used-fake-skripal-incident-photos-to-manipulate-trump.html#more