RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#63 :: Monday, 15 April 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#63 :: Monday, 15 April 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Bear Market Blog: Kremlin wants better election predictions.
2. Financial Times: Putin talks up Mercedes cars while ordinary Russians feel the pinch. Almost half the population cannot afford a week’s holiday each year, report reveals.
3. Moscow Times/Vedomosti: Sam Greene and Graeme Robertson, Putin’s Melody Is No Longer Music to Russians’ Ears. Having lost interest in dancing, Russians are returning to their private, individual cares.
4. Riddle: Kirill Shamiev, In Russia, Politics is Always About National Security.
5. www.rt.com: Military conscription in Russia becomes thing of the past – Putin.
6. Paul Goble: Russia Not about to End Military Draft Anytime Soon Because It Can’t Afford To.
7. Moscow Times: Russia Has Ceased ‘All’ Cooperation With NATO, Foreign Ministry Official Says.
8. AP: US-Russia Chill Stirs Worry About Stumbling Into Conflict.
9. RFE/RL: Interview: U.S. Ambassador Reaffirms Support For Ukraine’s Integrity, Calls On Russia To Talk. (Jon Huntsman)
10. Missoula Current (Montana): Former ambassador: U.S. should stop trying to make friends with Russia. (Michael McFaul)
11. TASS: US space program depends on Russia’s RD-180 rocket engines – deputy PM.
12. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russia Now Best Stock Market After China, But Investors Still Cold.
13. AP: Russia-Germany Gas Pipeline Seeks New Route in Baltic Sea.
14. Oilprice.com: Russia Replaces Venezuelan Crude On European Markets.
15. TASS: Russian Central Bank has instruments to withstand external shocks – head.
16. Interfax: Sanctions against Russian state banks likely to be more of a deterrent measure- Kudrin.
17. TASS: Russia will develop the economy on its own, while remaining open to investment – Siluanov.
18. Vesti.ru: Record Reserves! Russia Preparing For De-Dollarization, Becomes Largest Buyer of Gold in World! – vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3137769&cid=4441
19. Wall Street Journal: OPEC Has a New Best Friend: Russia. Putin has helped resolve conflicts within the cartel, giving the country considerable influence over oil markets.
20. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russia falling behind in space race.
21. Voice of America: As Russia Touts Expanded Arctic Sea Routes, US Observers See Veiled Threat.
22. Moscow Times/Republic: Vladimir Frolov, Our Man in NATO: Why Putin Lucked Out With Recep Erdogan. Russia is on the verge of a resounding victory over NATO and the United States.
23. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Putin votes for Modi. Can he help Modi win?
24. Carnegie Moscow Center: Konstantin Skorkin, The Ukrainian elite is preparing for Poroshenko’s election defeat. With polls showing incumbent Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko heading for a major defeat in the runoff election, governors and ministers are looking for contacts with the likely winner and his team. The president has fired a series of governors to send a warning to the rest. But the message is too late and not convincing.
25. TASS: Izvestia: Poroshenko holds ‘one man’ debate, as comic’s no-show leads to solo.
26. www.rt.com: Ukraine election: Cornered Poroshenko ‘debates himself’ as frontrunner Zelensky skips event. – rt.com/news/456483-poroshenko-debates-himself-ukraine/
27. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s meeting with students, auditors, professors and instructors at the Foreign Ministry’s Diplomatic Academy, Moscow, April 12, 2019.
28. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s remarks at the 27th Assembly of the Council on Foreign and Defence Policy, Moscow, April 13, 2019.
29. Wall Street Journal: Holman Jenkins, Russiagate and the Media’s News Denial. A U.S. attorney general points the press’s nose toward the real story.