RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#61 :: Thursday, 11 April 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#61 :: Thursday, 11 April 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: Can Russia save its minority languages. – rbth.com/education/330220-minority-languages
2. Paul Goble: Number of Marriages and Number of Divorces Both Falling in Russia – and Possibly for Same Reasons.
3. Newsweek: IS RUSSIA SAFE? U.S. ADDS TO NEW KIDNAPPING THREAT LIST ALONG WITH IRAN, VENEZUELA AND THESE OTHER COUNTRIES.
4. Wall Street Journal: George P. Shultz, William J. Perry and Sam Nunn, The Threat of Nuclear War Is Still With Us. The U.S. must re-engage with Russia to ensure the ultimate weapon doesn’t spread and is never used.
5. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, MUTUAL LACK OF CRITICAL INTROSPECTION.
6. Forbes.com: James Rodgers, Russia, Putin And The Future: Political Factors For Investors And Policy Makers To Watch.
7. Interfax: Putin stresses need for investigators to work strictly within law.
8. Reuters: Russian Lawmakers Approve Second Reading of ‘Sovereign’ Internet Bill.
9. Meduza: Defendants need people who give a damn . How ‘public advocates’ are disrupting Russia’s justice system.
10. www.rt.com: American investor Calvey released from Russian jail & placed under house arrest.
11. Valdai Discussion Club: Yaroslav Lissovolik, Education Alliances and Russia’s ‘Soft Power’ – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/education-alliances-and-russia-s-soft-power/
12. Eurasian Geopolitics: Edward Walker, Review of Michael McFaul, From Cold War to Hot Peace: An American Ambassador in Putin’s Russia.
13. Montana Public Radio: Former US Ambassador Talks Trump And Russia-US Relations.
14. Samuel Charap: The Demise of the INF: Implications for Russia-China Relations.
15. Reuters: Nord Stream 2 delay ‘trump card’ in Russia-Ukraine gas talks: EU official.
16. Interfax: Videoconference to agree on Donbas ‘Easter truce’ slated for April 18 – Deinego.
17. Moscow Times: Rebel Leader Says East Ukraine Wants to Join Russia.
19. Kyiv Post: New poll: 71 percent ready to vote for Zelenskiy, 29 percent for Poroshenko in second round.
20. Intellinews.com: Ukrainian Zelenskiy releases list of first 10 steps should he win presidential elections.
21. Transitions Online: Dmytro Babachanakh, Will the Real Volodymyr Zelenskiy Now Stand Up. Does new information about the genesis of his TV show reveal that the favorite in Ukraine’s presidential election has a hitherto unsuspected genius for politics?
22. www.rt.com: Ukrainian adventurism in Black Sea risks pulling NATO into war with Russia – senators.
23. Interfax-Ukraine: Russia preparing for full-scale war in Europe, Ukraine will be first bridgehead.
24. Forbes.com: Zak Doffman, Forget Russia, China And Iran, Up To 80% Of Cybersecurity Threats Are Closer To Home.
25. The Federalist: Jonathan Tobin, Democrats’ Denial Over The Lack Of Russian Collusion Could Re-Elect Trump. Doubling down on accusations and demanding the un-redacted Mueller report is no substitute for collusion myths, but Democrats’ inability to let it go helps the president.