RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#44 :: Monday, 18 March 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#44 :: Monday, 18 March 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
- The Daily Mail (UK): Watch out, Putin! Huge American B-52s that can carry nuclear weapons land at RAF base as part of largest US bomber deployment to the UK since Iraq war.
- The Scotsman (UK): Here’s why Scotland is in sights of Putin’s Russia.
- Forbes.com: Why Some Politicians Think Russia Is Behind Today’s Student Strikes.
- Russia Beyond: 7 reasons why Russians are so tough – rbth.com/lifestyle/330100-7-reasons-why-russians-are-tough
- Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kortunov, Terrorism as a Weather Phenomenon. – valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/terrorism-as-a-weather-phenomenon/
- Moscow Times: Alexei Levinson, Has Russia Finally Found its Niche in the World? Russian society’s enduring support for the annexation of Crimea means that the country’s search for a place in the world is over.
- The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Dream of the Civic Chamber. – unz.com/akarlin/dream-of-the-civic-chamber
- TASS: Putin signs law on blocking fake news.
- Meduza: ‘I just absolutely can’t not care’ A new online project collects the memories of thousands of ordinary Russians.
- Wall Street Journal: OPEC, Russia Deepen Oil Output Cuts but Disagree on Their Duration. Riyadh and Moscow split on whether crude curbs should last beyond June.
- TASS: Vedomosti: Russian tycoon sues US Treasury over $7.5 bln loss due to sanctions.
- Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Comment by the Information and Press Department regarding new anti-Russia sanctions adopted by the United States and Canada.
- Sputnik: Russia Has No Plans to Deploy Missiles in European Part of Country – MFA.
- www.rt.com: Moscow skeptical as Bolton throws out idea of new arms control talks with Russia & China.
- Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, OUT OF THE BLUE. (re Saaskashvili) – irrussianality.wordpress.com/2019/03/16/out-of-the-blue/
- Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Todorov, Where does the Northern Sea Route Lead To? – russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/where-does-the-northern-sea-route-lead-to/
- Interfax: Almost 9 out of 10 Russians approve of Crimea’s inclusion in Russia – poll.
- Bloomberg: Russia Still Paying Price for Crimea Five Years After Annexation.
- Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Five Years Later, Putin Is Paying for Crimea. His overconfidence after the successful annexation lured him into a trap where he lost all bargaining power.
- Sputnik: Fifth Anniversary of Crimea’s Rejoining Russia Marked by Development Boom. – sputniknews.com/analysis/201903181073334036-crimea-russia-development-tourism/]
- Interfax-Ukraine: Poll: Zelenskiy would win in second round of election.
- TASS: Poroshenko urges Ukrainians to support him to cross ‘point of no return’ with Russia.
- Reuters: In Shadow of War, Ukrainians Seek to Vote for Peace.
- The New Yorker: The New Yorker Interview. Masha and Keith Gessen on Writing About Russia.