RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents & links :: JRL 2019-#23 :: Friday, 15 February 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#23 :: Friday, 15 February 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, The End of Russia’s Occidental Era (For Now)
2. Government.ru: Dmitry Medvedev answers questions from TV presenter Irada Zeynalova (NTV) at the Sochi 2019 forum. (re sanctions)
3. www.rt.com: Russian PM calls on government to go beyond ‘dry figures’ to address poverty.
4. Government.ru: Russian Investment Forum Sochi 2019.
5. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Russian Demographics in 2019. (excerpt)[unz.com/akarlin/russian-demographics-in-2019/]
6. Meduza: The Iron Lady of Siberia . How an indigenous, female opposition candidate became Russia’s most popular mayor. (excerpt)
7. The Economist: Stroppy in Strunino. The lessons from protests in small-town Russia. The government is getting less and less popular.
8. Counterpunch.org: Binoy Kampmark, Means of Control: Russia’s Attempt to Hive Off the Internet [counterpunch.org/2019/02/15/means-of-control-russias-attempt-to-hive-off-the-internet/]
9. Transitions Online: Russian Space Program Marred by Insufficient Funding, Technical Setbacks. Prime minister asked space officials to stop promising the moon, and instead deliver on their commitments.
10. Moscow Times/Vedomosti: Mikhail Gorbachev, A Nuclear Arms Race Will Produce No Winners . Despite everything, it is still in our power to avoid nuclear confrontation.
11. Interfax: Russia showed absolute openness to save INF Treaty – Shoigu.
12. TASS: Putin: Europe does not want to host US missiles, but won’t dare to object.
13. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 14 FEBRUARY 2019. [patrickarmstrong.ca/2019/02/14/russian-federation-sitrep-14-february-2019/]
14. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Russian Trolls Spreading Measles In Europe.[unz.com/akarlin/russian-trolls-spreading-measles-in-europe/]
15. Bear Market Brief: Top American investor detained in Moscow. [link to entire archived e-mail newsletter issue: mailchi.mp/f68dcbed6499/calvey-and-hobbes?e=b96dba38fd]
16. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow gears up to respond to new US sanctions.
17. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, U.S. threatens new round of sanctions but Russia is ready.
18. Bear Market Brief: Aaron Schwartzbaum, Sanctions. [link to entire archived e-mail newsletter issue: mailchi.mp/f68dcbed6499/calvey-and-hobbes?e=b96dba38fd]
19. Bloomberg: Russia Sanctions Proposal Seen Having Most Impact on Gas Pipes.
20. www.rt.com: Proposed ‘sanctions from hell’ against Russia may curb Trump, but won’t help US rule the world. [rt.com/news/451505-new-us-russia-sanctions-explained/]
21. RUSI (UK): Andrei Kortunov and Malcolm Chalmers, Upholding Stability in the Middle East: An Opportunity for Russia-Europe Cooperation? No single power can ‘fix’ the current turmoil in the Middle East. Still, there may be scope for Russia-Europe cooperation in managing the region’s ills. [rusi.org/commentary/upholding-stability-middle-east-opportunity-russia%E2%80%93europe-cooperation]
22. www.rt.com: Putin on US ‘pullout’ from Syria: Trump working to deliver on election promises, a rare thing in US.
23. TASS: Izvestia: Sochi’s trilateral talks to speed up Syrian peace process.
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Dmitry Egorchenkov, Keeping the Syria Peace Process on Track: Astana Troika Meets in Sochi.
25. TASS: Poll reveals Russians’ sentiment on Soviet military presence in Afghanistan, 30 years on.
26. Russia Beyond: 3 popular myths about the Soviets in Afghanistan. [rbth.com/history/329986-3-popular-myths-about-soviets]
27. Valdai Discussion Club: Muhammad Athar Javed, Russian Peace Efforts in Afghanistan.
28. New York Times: Artemy Kalinovsky, How to Make Peace in Afghanistan? Moscow Has Some Lessons. Thirty years ago, the Soviets withdrew, but peace didn’t follow. Let’s hope the world can get it right this time.
29. Washington Time: Edward Lozansky and Jim Jatras, Yanks to the Rescue 2.0. (re Ukraine)
30. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, No joke! Ukraine’s presidential choice: an oligarch, a gas princess or a comedian. [rt.com/op-ed/451556-ukraine-elections-poroshenko-2019/]
31. Kennan Institute: William Hill, Moldova’s Upcoming Election: What’s at Stake.
32. Russia Beyond: 7 contemporary Russian novels you need to read before you die. [rbth.com/arts/329984-best-contemporary-russian-novels]