RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2019-5 :: Tuesday, 8 January 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#5 :: Tuesday, 8 January 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russia Beyond: 7 most important Russian books. [rbth.com/arts/329805-best-russian-books-ever]
2. Russia Beyond: 10 of the best Russian TV shows of the last 20 years. [rbth.com/arts/329790-10-best-russian-serials]
3. Consortiumnews.com: Ray McGovern, A Look Back at Clapper’s Jan. 2017 ‘Assessment’ on Russia-gate. On the 2nd anniversary of the “assessment” blaming Russia for “collusion” with Trump there is still no evidence other than showing the media “colluded” with the spooks. [consortiumnews.com/2019/01/07/a-look-back-at-clappers-jan-2017-assessment-on-russia-gate/]
4. Paul Goble: Russia’s Lower Classes Far More ‘Soviet’ than Its Elites and That is a Big Problem, Inozemtsev Says.
5. Meduza: Russia’s unthinkable holiday comedy. A risky new film takes aim at the Siege of Leningrad.
6. RFE/RL: More In The Tank: Russian Film Extends Trend Of Patriotic World War II Epics.
7. Paul Goble: Growing Russian Nostalgia for Soviet Past Far More Dangerous than It Appears, Kirillova Says.
8. Gazeta.ru: Factors behind Russians’ ‘nostalgia’ for Soviet Union viewed. (Semen Novoprudskiy) [vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3100606&cid=4441]
9. Vesti.ru: Russia’s New Generation of Public Servants: Top Graduates Prepare for Duma Duties Serving the Public.
10. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Preview of upcoming new and amended laws in Russia.
11. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Sanctions, Isolation And Inflation Are Killing Russian Incomes.
12. Intellinews.com: Tax collection in Russia soars 22% in 2018 thanks to improved efficiency and shadow economy crackdown.
13. Moscow Times: WADA to Inspect Moscow Lab for Doping Violations.
14. TASS: Niece of ‘Novichok’ victim questions reports about cousin’s contacts with Russian friends.
15. TASS: Russia ready to organize Whelan’s meeting with officials from countries he is citizen of.
16. Stratfor.com: The Curious Story of an American Arrested by the Kremlin.
17. The Atlantic; Hassan Hassan, Moscow’s Little-Noticed Islamic-Outreach Effort. Russia is promoting Islamic moderation in unison with Arab powers-and further cementing its position in the Middle East.
18. The Straits Times (Singapore): Hu Yumin, US-China-Russia ties will shape the future. The US target now seems to be China, although Russia remains very much on its radar.
19. PONARS Eurasia: Kimberly Marten, Into Africa: Prigozhin, Wagner, and the Russian Military. (excerpt)
20. www.strategic-culture.org: Patrick Armstrong, Back to the USSR: How to Read Western News.
21. The Hill: Daniel DePetris, The Trump administration should take up Putin’s offer to talk.
22. Intellinews.com: Ukrainian President Poroshenko added $19.7mn to his fortune in 2018.
23. The Intercept: Glenn Greenwald, NBC and MSNBC Blamed Russia for Using “Sophisticated Microwaves” to Cause “Brain Injuries” in U.S. “Diplomats” in Cuba. The Culprits Were Likely Crickets. (excerpt)
24. TASS: President Putin congratulates Orthodox Christians celebrating Christmas.
25. Awful Avalanche: Characteristics and Limitations of Ukrainian Tomos – Part I.
26. Awful Avalanche: Characteristics and Limitations of Ukrainian Tomos – Part II.
27. Cleveland Plain Dealer: Pietro A. Shakarian, Cleveland visit 60 years ago this week of No. 2 Soviet official Anastas Mikoyan reflected a detente that served both nations well.