RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2019-3 :: Friday, 4 January 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#3 :: Friday, 4 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, Uncertainties and False Certainties in 2019. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/uncertainties-2019/]
2. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Technomedievalism 2. (re Paul Whelan) [unz.com/akarlin/technomedievalism-2/]
3. Sputnik: Russians Amused by Reports Alleged US Spy Also Has Canadian, UK Citizenship. [sputniknews.com/viral/201901041071215596-whelan-multiple-citizenships-reaction/]
4. www.rt.com; Danielle Ryan, Former US ambassador perpetuates myth that it’s ‘not safe’ for American tourists to go to Russia. [rt.com/op-ed/448028-mcfaul-russia-tourists-safe/]
5. New York Times: Spy or Not? American Who Loves Russia Ensnared in New Cold War.
6. http://theduran.com: Bellingcat may have tipped off Russian FSB of Paul Whelan’s alleged espionage activity (Video) (with Alexander Mercouris) (excerpt) [theduran.com/bellingcat-may-have-tipped-off-russian-fsb-of-paul-whelans-alleged-espionage-activity-video/?mc_cid=5ee33b9ece&mc_eid=a30b6d6ee5]
7. Wall Street Journal: American Charged in Russia Also Holds British, Canadian and Irish Citizenship.
8. Vesti.ru: Vast Improvement in Living Conditions of Russian Provinces! Russian Heartland Finally Recovering! [https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3100585&cid=4441]
9. The Bell: Looking ahead: what to watch in Russia in 2019.
10. Bear Market Brief: Putin reminds businessmen: render unto Caesar.
11. Meduza: Kevin Rothrock, How old were you when you realized the Russian people’s disastrous situation? A Neo-Nazi’s worried lawyer hits a national nerve
12. Gazeta.ru: Analyst tells website Russians ‘increasingly critical’ of elites. (Mikhail Vinogradov)
13. Novaya Gazeta: Russian pollster highlights rise in popular ‘frustration’ in 2018. (Lev Gudkov)
14. The American Interest: Aaron Schwatzbaum, GOVERNING RUSSIA. After the Crimean Consensus. Russia’s “managed democracy” is still far from competitive, but it’s experiencing increased political friction as stakeholders demand more concessions from the Kremlin.
15. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 3 JANUARY 2019.
16. PONARS Eurasia: Dmitry Gorenburg, Circumstances Have Changed Since 1991, but Russia’s Core Foreign Policy Goals Have Not.
17. Russia Matters: Joshua Shifrinson, ‘No Place for Russia’: How Much Are Old US Ambitions in Europe to Blame for Russia-West Tensions Today?
18. The Economist editorial: Over to you, Vlad. The fate of Syria is now in Russia’s hands. But Vladimir Putin is struggling to sort out its future.
19. Le Monde diplomatique: Serge Halimi, The Guardian’s fake scoop.
20. Russia Beyond: Why you should NEVER travel the Trans-Siberian Railway. [rbth.com/travel/329798-why-you-should-never-travel]
21. CNN.com: Andrew Coan, What happens if Mueller comes up empty
22. The Hill: John Solomon, Exculpatory Russia evidence about Mike Flynn that US intel kept secret.
23. Sputnik: Neil Clark, 2018 was the year of Russophobia.
24. Counterpunch.org: Andrew Levine, Russia and the Liberals.
25. The Times (UK) editorial: Danger of Bolshevist imperialism. (January 4, 1919)