RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2019-2 :: Thursday, 3 January 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#2 :: Thursday, 3 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Meduza: Russian news agency says ‘U.S. spy’ recently arrested in Moscow was caught ‘red-handed’ [meduza.io/en/news/2019/01/03/russian-news-agency-says-u-s-spy-recently-arrested-in-moscow-was-caught-red-handed]
2. The National Interest: Anatol Lieven, Western Nations Are Repeating the Mistakes of 1914. In their enthusiasm for a new cold war against China and Russia, the Western establishments of today are making a mistake comparable to that of their forebears of 1914.
3. AFP: Goodbye Stalin: Moscow metro sheds Soviet look in bold new stations.
4. Meduza: The very best Russia journalism in 2018.
5. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian commentary highlights lack of competitive politics. (Dmitry Agranovsky)
6. Moscow Times: Real Incomes ‘Barely Budged’ in 2018, Chief Auditor Says.
7. Moscow Times: Russia Disbands the Concept of ‘Dacha’
8. Vedomosti: Russian daily says society wants ‘more peaceful foreign policy’
9. Vedomosti: Russian commentator weighs up impact of US sanctions. (Sergei Dubinin)
10. Brookings: Steven Pifer, Is there a glimmer of hope for the INF Treaty?
11. www.rt.com: Did Trump endorse Soviet intervention in Afghanistan…or disavow US backing of jihad there? [rt.com/news/447968-trump-afghanistan-soviet-jihad/]
12. Valdai Discussion Club: Dmitry Poletaev, From Mistrust to Solidarity or More Mistrust? Russia’s Migration Experience in the International Context
13. Russia Beyond: 7 Russian books translated into English in 2018 you need to read [rbth.com/arts/329823-english-translations-russian-literature]
14. Foreignaffairs.com: Peter Harrell, How to Hit Russia Where It Hurts. A Long-Term Strategy to Ramp Up Economic Pressure.
15. Alexander Domrin: RE: 2019#1 (#4 Moscowexile – On New Year’s Eve, TV channel “Rain” showed a speech made by Akhedzhakova instead of Putin)