RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2019-#18 :: Thursday, 7 February 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#18 :: Thursday, 7 February 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The National Interest: Alexander Lukin, How the United States Got Russia Wrong. The West today is paying for its collusion with Russia in the 1990s
2. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Post-cold war era barely lasted 1144 days.
3. Intellinews.com: More controversy as Rosstat upgrades Russian GDP growth to a six-year high.
4. New York Times: With Savings to Burn, Russia Turns (Again) to a State-Led Spending Plan.
5. Paul Goble: At Least Twice as Many Russians Now Living in Poverty than Moscow Suggests, Gontmakher Says.
6. LeftEast: Ilya Budraitskis, The Protests against Russia’s Pension Reform and the Reasons for Their Defeat. (excerpt) [criticatac.ro/lefteast/the-protests-against-russias-pension-reform-and-the-reasons-for-their-defeat/]
7. Moscow Times: Roman Lunkin, Russia’s Crackdown on Jehovah’s Witnesses Hits Critical Milestone. By cracking down on Jehovah’s Witnesses, the authorities sent a clear signal to all religious minorities in Russia.
8. www.documentjournal.com: Caroline Christie, Exploring the rise of Soviet nostalgia in Russia. Looking into why millennials are championing the undying appeal of Soviet-era aesthetics. [documentjournal.com/2019/01/exploring-the-rise-of-soviet-nostalgia-in-russia/]
9. The Unz Review: Paul Craig Roberts, Is Putin Too Polite? [unz.com/proberts/is-putin-too-polite/]
10. Wall Street Journal: Russia’s New Shield From U.S. Sanctions: A Siberian Gold Mine. Sukhoi Log, widely seen as one of the world’s largest untapped gold deposits, could give Moscow a bulletproof currency backstop.
11. Bloomberg: Russia Welcomes Trump Offer of New Nuclear Pact, Awaits Details.
12. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kortunov, The Domino Effect: America’s Withdrawal from the INF Treaty and Its Ramifications.
13. https://gilbertdoctorow.com: Gilbert Doctorow, The INF Treaty is dead: will the arms race be won this time by the most agile or by the biggest wallet?[gilbertdoctorow.com/2019/02/05/the-inf-treaty-is-dead-will-the-arms-race-be-won-this-time-by-the-most-agile-or-by-the-biggest-wallet/]
14. Strategic Culture Foundation: Anatoly Karlin, American Suspension of INF Treaty is Aimed at China. [strategic-culture.org/news/2019/02/05/american-suspension-inf-treaty-aimed-at-china.html]
15. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, NYT Writer: “Corruption Is in Russia’s DNA” [unz.com/akarlin/nyt-writer-corruption-is-in-russias-dna/]
16. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Like the ‘Gerasimov Doctrine’ it spawned, it’s time to retire the concept of ‘Russia Watching’ [rt.com/op-ed/449981-russia-watching-gerasimov-doctrine/]
17. Russia Beyond: Why did the USSR enter Afghanistan. [rbth.com/history/329948-why-did-ussr-enter-afghanistan-war]
18. Moscow Times: U.S. Shuts Down Only Immigration Office in Russia, Citing Falling Demand.
19. History News Network: Walter Moss, What Do the Russians Think About Trump, Putin, and America? [historynewsnetwork.org/article/171021]
20. Russia Matters: Jeanne Wilson, Russia and China Beyond Realpolitik: The Bond of Respect and Values.
21. Asia Times: Backing Maduro could be costly for Moscow. Even if the Venezuelan president remains, Russia will be stuck with major costs from suspect oil deals.
22. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, NOVICHOK FULL O’ NUTS – IN THE CASE OF SERGEI SKRIPAL POLICE COMMISSIONER ANGUS MACPHERSON LIFTS THE LID. (excerpt)[johnhelmer.net/novichok-full-o-nuts-in-the-case-of-sergei-skripal-police-commissioner-angus-macpherson-lifts-the-lid/]
23. Reconsidering Russia Podcast #17: Stephen F. Cohen
24. Antiwar.com: Gilbert Doctorow, War With Russia? (re Stephen Cohen)[original.antiwar.com/Gilbert_Doctorow/2019/02/05/war-with-russia/]
25. H-Diplo/ISSF Policy Series: David Hendrickson, Fractured: Trump’s Foreign Policy after Two Years. (excerpt re Russia) [networks.h-net.org/node/28443/discussions/3637620/issf-policy-series-david-c-hendrickson-fractured-trump%E2%80%99s-foreign]