RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2019-#16 :: Saturday, 26 January 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2019-#16 :: Saturday, 26 January 2019
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, The West’s Alienation of Russia: The Next Wave.
2. Irrussianality; Paul Robinson, BAD STATECRAFT.
3. Intellinews.com: Russian population put in its first full-year decline in a decade.
4. TASS: How Russia’s population changed over the years.
6. www.rt.com: Russia tightens up legislation against fake news & insults directed at authorities.
7. GlobalVoices: Russia’s isolationist ‘sovereign internet’ bill worries experts and users alike.
8. Yahoo Finance: Russian business leader and Putin ally: ‘We hope this internal rift in the US heals.’ (Kirill Dmitriev)
9. www.rt.com: Russia to work on keeping INF Treaty even if US withdraws from it – deputy FM.
10. Russia Matters: William Tobey, Pavel Zolotarev and Ulrich Kühn, The INF Quandary: Preventing a Nuclear Arms Race in Europe. Perspectives from the US, Russia and Germany.
11. Valdai Discussion Club: Sergey Veselovsky, U.S. Missile Defense Strategy.
12. Sputnik: ‘Historical Mistake’: Academic Describes How US Facilitated Sino-Russian Entente. (Glenn Diesen)
13. Russia in Global Affairs: Larisa Deriglazova, Russia and the European Union in Eulerian Circles of “Europe.” Russian Quest for Ideal Europe Beyond the EU. (excerpt)
14. TASS: Media: Moscow gambles on Maduro.
15. TASS: Expert certain Maduro can prevent US military intervention in Venezuela.
16. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrei Pyatakov, Venezuela in Turmoil: The Verbal War and the Foreign Interests.
17. Wall Street Journal: ‘These Are Our Friends’; Russians Push to Preserve North Korea Ties. Some Russian business owners and ethnic Koreans are braving U.S. ire to maintain business ties with Pyongyang.
18. Vedomosti: Pundit says Russian public should agree to Kurils handover. (Dmitri Trenin)
19. Moscow Times: Dmitry Streltsov, Why Russia and Japan Can’t Solve the Kuril Islands Dispute . A win-win solution to the territorial deadlock is currently out of the question.
20. AP: Leningrad siege survivors recall their ordeal after 75 years.
21. RFE/RL: Desperately Seeking A Postwar President In Ukraine.
22. New York Times: Huge Trove of Leaked Russian Documents Is Published by Transparency Advocates.
23. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, At midterm, mixed results of Trump’s foreign policy. President should ignore neoconservatives and neoliberals, and present his own vision.
24. Strategic Culture Foundation: Patrick Armstrong, Integrity Initiative: Big Brother’s Minions – or Flim-Flam Artists? (excerpt) [strategic-culture.org/news/2019/01/23/integrity-initiative-big-brothers-minions-or-flim-flam-artists.html]
25. Spectator USA: Michael Tracy, BuzzFeed, ‘BOOM!’ and the Russiagate bombshell. Why it’s always worth waiting a full day before passing judgment. [spectator.us/buzzfeed-boom-russiagate-bombshell/]
26. Washington Post: ‘Kleptocracy,’ premiering at Arena Stage, takes an inside look at Vladimir Putin’s rise to power – and into his private life.