RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2019-1 :: Wednesday, 2 January 2019
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#1 :: Wednesday, 2 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY.
2. TASS: Climate change? Russian meteorologist says 2019 may turn out as warmest year on record.
3. Kremlin.ru: New Year Address to the Nation.
4. Moscowexile: On New Year’s Eve, TV channel “Rain” showed a speech made by Akhedzhakova instead of Putin’s speech.
5. Paul Goble: 19 Events — Almost Certain to Occur — Russians Will Be Talking About in 2019.
6. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russians Start Off 2019 Less Confident In Everything.
8. http://theduran.com; Will Vladimir Putin remain as Russian President past 2024? (Video) (with Alexander Mercouris) [Video: theduran.com/will-vladimir-putin-remain-as-russian-president-past-2024-video/]
9. Financial Times: Russia’s business elite seeks to play down Putin links. Threat of US sanctions poses dilemma for those with Kremlin connections.
10. ABC News (Australia): The rise of Russia’s oligarchs – and their bid for legitimacy.
11. Paul Goble: Only Three Percent of Young Russians Want to Work in Private Sector, Study Finds.
12. www.rt.com: Russia’s $75 trillion in resources is why sanctions are impossible.
13. Reuters: Russian oil output reaches record high in 2018.
14. RFE/RL: WADA ‘Bitterly Disappointed’ At Russian Failure To Meet Anti-Doping Deadline.
15. Reuters: Putin tells Trump that Moscow is open for dialogue.
16. Washington Post: Samuel Ramani, Here’s why Russia keeps hosting Afghanistan peace talks that will almost certainly fail.
17. Awful Avalanche: England – Russia, an Old Partnership – Part I. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2019/01/02/england-russia-an-old-partnership-part-i/]
18. Russia Beyond: 5 Russian movies of 2018 you shouldn’t miss. [rbth.com/arts/329804-best-russian-movies-2018]
19. Russia Reviewed: ZHURNAL’NY ZAL (http://magazines.russ.ru) [russiareviewed.wordpress.com/2019/01/02/russia-reviewed-monthly-january-2019/]
20. Interfax Ukraine: Poll: Ukrainians having best attitude toward Germany, Belarus, worst – toward Russia.
21. Forward: Michael Colborne, Why Does No One Care That Neo-Nazis Are Gaining Power In Ukraine?
22. Kyiv Post: Ukrainians march to mark 110th birthday of Stepan Bandera (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
23. New York Times: As Ukraine and Russia Battle Over Orthodoxy, Schism Looms.
24. www.strategic-culture.org: Eric Zuesse, MH17 Turnabout: Ukraine’s Guilt Now Proven. (excerpt)
25. Twitter: Michael McFaul, Arrest of American in Moscow.
26. Facebook: Fred Weir and others, Arrest of American in Moscow.
27. Washington Times: Rowan Scarborough, Dossier fails the test of time; Trump-Russia collusion claims now called ‘likely false’
28. Wall Street Journal: Holman Jenkins, Mueller’s Report Will Be a Bore. The real truth about 2016 will be found in the declassified doings of the FBI and CIA.