RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-92 :: Tuesday, 22 May 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#92 :: Tuesday, 22 May 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. American Affairs: James Carden, The Cold War Culture War.
2. www.foreignaffairs.com: Sergey Rogov, Can the U.S. and Russia Find a Path Forward on Arms Control? How to Prevent a Dangerous Escalation.
3. Interfax: About half of Russians confident Russia has status of great power – poll.
4. TASS: Direct Line with President Putin: Kremlin promises technologically fine-tuned event.
5. Vedomosti: Pundit says Putin becomes more ‘conservative in his actions’
6. Moscow Times: Michele Berdy, Putin’s Bad Russian Conservatism.
7. The Independent Barents Observer: Arctic governor gets key post in Russia’s new government. Dmitry Kobylkin has made the Yamal-Nenets Autononous Okrug an economic powerhouse in the Russian North. Now, he will head the country’s Ministry of Natural Resources.
8. TASS: State Duma voted for approval of Kudrin as head of Accounts Chamber.
9. www.rt.com: Controversial Russian city mayor quits in protest over canceled elections. (Yevgeny Roizman)
11. CNBC.com: Russia is out to prove that ‘doomsday’ forecasts of economic collapse have failed.
12. TASS: Izvestia: FIFA World Cup to trigger Russia’s economic growth.
13. Bloomberg: Russia Flexes Its Soft Power Muscles. Extending output cuts deepens its role in global affairs.
14. www.rt.com: Duma passes bill on counter-sanctions, gives Russian govt power to impose restrictions.
15. Vedomosti: Russian daily views bill making ‘political differences of opinion’ crime. (re sanctions)
16. TASS: Kommersant: Russian, US differences on Open Skies Treaty growing.
17. Counterpunch.org: Gary Leupp, Question for Discussion: Is Russia an Adversary Nation?
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Ralf Dickel, PROGRESS OF NORD STREAM 2 AND ITS ROLE FOR RUSSIAN GAS EXPORTS TO THE EU.
19. www.aljazeera.com: Modi meets Putin as India walks US-Russia tightrope. Indian PM traveled to Sochi to hold talks with Russia’s Putin, with geopolitical issues on the agenda of summit.
20. Vesti.ru: Mikheyev: Looming Showdown Between Iran and US is a Golden Opportunity for Russia. [News video with English subtitles: vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3019696&cid=4441]
21. Intellinews.com: Alex Nice, The UK is struggling to clarify its Russian corruption and sanctions policy.
22. Spiked: Tim Black, THE FANTASY OF RUSSIA’S DIRTY MONEY. Blaming Russia for everything has become the elite’s go-to conspiracy theory.
23. AP: Purported mother of poisoned Russian spy speaks out.
24. www.rt.com: Robert Bridge, The case of incredibly shrinking Skripals: UK owes Russia explanation as poisoning mystery deepens. [Text with links: rt.com/op-ed/427124-skripal-novichok-uk-nhs/]
25. Daily Beast: Jamie Ross, The Battle Against Kremlin Propaganda Network RT.
26. The New Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, When You Shake Hands with Ukraine, Count Your Fingers Afterward. [Text with links and chart: thenewkremlinstooge.wordpress.com/2018/05/18/when-you-shake-hands-with-ukraine-count-your-fingers-afterward/]
27. Los Angeles Times: Jonah Goldberg, Conspiracy theorists on both sides of the Russia probe probably have some facts on their side.
28. David Habakkuk: On Richard Pipes.
29. Ira Straus: Correction to my note on Pipes.
30. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Russia, America, and the Biases Within Us.