RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-90 :: Friday, 18 May 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#90 :: Friday, 18 May 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Pundit views Russia’s relations with Germany, EU amid ‘US diktat.’ (Fyodor Lukyanov)
2. New York Times: Richard Pipes, Historian of Russia and Reagan Aide, Dies at 94.
3. Boston Globe: Richard Pipes, authority on Russia and Soviet Union, and a Reagan-era hardliner, dies at 94.
4. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, RICHARD PIPES, 1923-2018.
5. Moscow Times: Putin Favors Status Quo With New Government Lineup.
6. TASS: Russian PM Medvedev presents candidates for new cabinet.
7. www.rt.com: Putin signs decree on new government with all candidates proposed by Medvedev.
8. TASS: RBC: Russian ministries offer different options of upping retirement age.
9. TASS: Upper house speaker proposes upping Russia’s retirement age by 6 months over 10 years.
10. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Oil tops $80 a barrel and changes Russia’s fiscal landscape.
11. www.rt.com: Russian stock market brushes off US sanctions, trading near all-time high.
12. Bear Market Brief: Tougher sanctions on state companies could trigger recession.
13. TASS: Kommersant: Media watchdog faces uphill battle to block Telegram in Russia.
14. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 17 MAY 2018. [Text with links patrickarmstrong.ca/2018/05/17/russian-federation-sitrep-17-may-2018/]
15. TASS: US companies are free to decide whether to go to SPIEF or not – US State Department.
16. www.rt.com: US threatens to punish Russia & Germany if they continue playing with gas.
17. Bloomberg: Rapprochement With Russia Is Now a Core Policy Objective for Germany.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Nora Topor Kalinskij, NORD STREAM 2: CATCH-22 FOR GERMANY.
19. Russiafeed.com: Paul Gonchariff, Russia slaps US, Europe with counter-sanctions. Perhaps Washington, London and Brussels should try presenting Russia a “Reset” button again, but this time correctly spelled.
20. TASS: Izvestia: Russia’s national payment system expands reach to BRICS.
21. Haaretz (Israel): Putin Meets Assad, Says ‘Foreign Armed Forces Will Start Leaving Syria’
22. Interfax: Russian-U.S. dialogue on Syria still intensive – Ryabkov.
23. The National Interest: John Mueller, The Price for Peace in Syria Is Cooperation with Assad.
24. Moon of Alabama: Syria – Inconsistent, Incomplete And Implausible – The OPCW Report On Saraqib Is Another Disgrace. [moonofalabama.org/2018/05/syria-inconsistent-incomplete-and-implausible-the-opcw-report-on-saraqib-is-another-disgrace-.html#more]
25. Valdai Discussion Club: Dmitry Suslov, NEW US EURASIAN STRATEGY AND CENTRAL ASIA.
26. Paul Goble: Despite Appearances, Russian Society is Neither Patriarchal nor Traditional, Savvin Says.
27. New York Times: Dmitry Volkov, Don’t Isolate the Russians. It’s What Putin Wants.
28. TASS: Salisbury investigation continues – Met Police.
29. Financial Times: Ex-Russian double agent Sergei Skripal released from hospital.
30. www.rt.com: Sergei Skripal discharged from hospital after being poisoned by ‘deadly’ agent.
31. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Did Trump Collude? Depends on Your Expectations. Absent definitive evidence, guilt is in the eye of the beholder.
32. AP: 1 Year on, Robert Mueller Is Everywhere and Nowhere.
33. Los Angeles Times: Approval of Russia investigation slips as Trump’s ramped-up attacks solidify his base against it.
34. Buzzfeed.com: The Definitive Story Of How Trump’s Team Worked The Trump Moscow Deal During The Campaign.
35. Jacobin: Branko Marcetic, The Shocking Truth About Russia’s Troll Campaign.The Russian Facebook ads that destroyed American democracy have now been released. Try not to laugh – it’s serious business. [jacobinmag.com/2018/05/russia-troll-2016-election-interference-ads]
36. www.rt.com: Collusion everywhere? US media suspect Mueller of links to Russian billionaire.
37. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley Strassel, Was Trump’s Campaign ‘Set Up’? At some point, the Russia investigation became political. How early was it?
38. Sean’s Russia Blog: David Johnson in the Moscow News.