RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-9 :: Friday, 12 January 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#9
Friday, 12 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Medium.com: Jeffrey Carr, The DNC: Swimming In Malware But Never Once Targeted.
2. Interfax: Putin: We’re not going to interfere with U.S. affairs, but it should be ready to meet challenges it prompts.
3. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with heads of Russian print media and news agencies.
4. Reuters: In Rut, Russian Communists Register Surprise Candidate to Challenge Putin.
5. www.rt.com: Communist party poll-ratings rise after non-communist contender enters fray.
6. Fort Russ: Eduard Popov, Putin’s 2018 Election Campaign: A New Beginning?
7. Institute of Modern Russia: Snob: The Mathematics of a Boycott. Dmitry Oreshkin argues that Navalny’s call for a boycott is good step for him, but not for voters
8. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Russia’s Quiet Revolution – Update.
9. TASS: Izvestia: Inflation expectations plunge to all-time low in Russia.
10. Bloomberg: Russia’s Break From a Recession Was Fleeting.
11. TASS: State Duma passes first reading of bill designating individuals as foreign agent media.
12. Bloomberg: Russia’s Oligarchs Brace for U.S. Report Listing Putin Friends.
13. Russia Reviewed: Gangs of Russia: From the Streets to the Corridors of Power by Svetlana Stephenson
14. Institute of Modern Russia: Carnegie.ru: Russia’s 2017 Foreign Policy . Dmitry Trenin summarizes Russia’s 2017 foreign policy.
15. The National Interest: Dave Majumdar, Here’s What’s in Store for U.S.-Russia Relations. Andranik Migranyan discussed the topic today at the Center for the National Interest.
16. www.rt.com: ‘No light at the end of the tunnel’ for US-Russia relations – senior Moscow senator. (Konstantin Kosachev)
17. TASS: Putin slams drone attack on Russian base in Syria as provocation.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladimir Yevseyev, DRONE ATTACK ON KHMEIMIM: WHO BENEFITS FROM ESCALATION IN WESTERN SYRIA?
19. Washington Post editorial: Russia has fooled the U.S. again in Syria.
20. The National Interest: Paul Pillar, Ceding Diplomatic Leadership to Russia.
21. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, The Do’s and Don’ts of Fighting Russian Interference. A major report by Senator Ben Cardin suggests a broad response to Russian interference in the West. Only some of his recommendations make sense.
22. AP: Cybersecurity firm: US Senate in Russian hackers’ crosshairs.
23. Consortiumnews.com: The FBI Hand Behind Russia-gate. In the Watergate era, liberals warned about U.S. intelligence agencies manipulating U.S. politics, but now Trump-hatred has blinded many of them to this danger becoming real, as ex-CIA analyst Ray McGovern notes.
24. Washington Post: Is there a GOP conspiracy to discredit the Trump-Russia investigation?
25. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley Strassel, The Dossier Rehab Campaign. Congress should work quickly to declassify documents and let the public decide.
26. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Patrick Lang, The Trump Dossier Timeline, A Democrat Disaster Looming.