RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-85 :: Friday, 11 May 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#85
Friday, 11 May 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Meduza: Cohen vs. McFaul. Is Russia or America to blame for the New Cold War?
2. TASS: Putin not considering third consecutive term as president.
3. Moscow Times: Michele Berdy, Putin’s Language (R)Evolution.
4. The Economist: Six more years. Fresh challenges for Vladimir Putin in his supposedly final term. Russia’s strongman talks less about foreign adventures and more about domestic problems.
5. The National Interest: Nikolas K. Gvosdev, Who Will Lead Russia after Putin? It’s time to start discussions of who his potential successor might be.
6. Intellinews.com: Russian Kudrin to head Audit Chamber.
7. The Bell: Russia’s new government disappoints those hoping for economic reforms.
8. Reuters: Russia eyes budget surplus for first time since 2011.
9. Sputnik: Russia Expects Oil & Gas Profits Five Times Greater than Projected in 2018.
10. Moscow Times: Michael Kofman, Parades and Pomp: What Do Russia’s Armed Forces Have to Celebrate? The picture is far from rosy.
11. Bloomberg: Trump’s Man in Moscow Gives Boost to Putin’s Economic Forum. (Ambassador Jon Huntsman)
12. Sputnik: Russian Investigators Get Proof Refuting Rodchenkov’s Claims on Doping Samples.
13. Xinhua: Russians see China as most valuable partner: poll.
14. Washington Post: Lawmakers takes step toward nullifying nuclear arms treaty with Russia.
15. TASS: Countersanctions bill should not specify names of items, enterprises – State Duma Speaker.
16. Al-Monitor: Maxim A. Suchkov, As tensions flare with Iran, Israel embraces Russia.
17. Russia Matters: RM Experts, Survey: What Next for the Iran Deal and What Will It Mean for US-Russian Relations?
18. Moscow Times: Most Russians Don’t See Armenia-Style Revolution as Possible in Their Country – Poll.
19. The Nation: Pietro A. Shakarian, Armenia’s Future Hangs in the Balance. New Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan’s road to healing the unequal and divided country will be long and difficult.
20. Washington Post: Michael McFaul, The smear that killed the ‘reset.’ Putin needed an American enemy. He picked me.
21. New York magazine: Jonathan Chait, How Badly Has Russia Compromised American Government?
22. Wall Street Journal: John McCain: ‘Vladimir Putin Is an Evil Man.’ In an excerpt from his new memoir, Sen. McCain discusses his longstanding opposition to the Russian strongman-and his own role in receiving ‘the Steele dossier’ about Donald Trump.
23. www.rt.com: Steve Keen, Karl Marx sacrificed logic on the altar of his desire for revolution. [Text with links https://www.rt.com/op-ed/426249-karl-marx-capital-labor/]