RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-79 :: Thursday, 3 May 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#79
Thursday, 3 May 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. PBS Newshour: Elizabeth Flock, After a week of Russian propaganda, I was questioning everything. (excerpt)
2. TASS: Putin: World Cup groundwork comes to a close, finishing touches get underway.
3. Russia Beyond: Why do Russian couples divorce so often? [Text with links https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/328194-russian-couples-divorce-often-family]
4. Russia Insider: Patrick Armstrong, US Thinks It Knows Russia but Keeps Getting Surprised by It. Perhaps it would be wiser for Americans to accept they actually don’t know a whole lot about Russians and go from there. [Text with links https://russia-insider.com/en/us-thinks-it-knows-russia-keeps-getting-surprised-it/ri23357]
5. UNIAN (Kyiv): With influence activities exposed, Kremlin acts even more boldly – Estonian intel chief.
6. Medium.com: From Cold War to Hot Peace. By Michael McFaul, former U.S. ambassador to Russia and Obama administration advisor, current director of the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies. The following is an excerpt from his book, From Cold War to Hot Peace, available May 8. https://medium.com/freeman-spogli-institute-for-international-studies/from-cold-war-to-hot-peace-3856bb902eed
7. World Bank: Communism as the Unhappy Coming. [Full text http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/303241522775925061/pdf/WPS8399.pdf]
8. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian paper forecasts new government composition.
9. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, VICE PRESIDENT FOR CAPITULATION – PUTIN DECIDES WHAT JOB TO GIVE KUDRIN. [Text with links, footnotes, and photos http://johnhelmer.net/vice-president-for-capitulation-putin-decides-what-job-to-give-kudrin/#more-19143]
10. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Putin’s ‘First Killing’ [Text with links https://gordonhahn.com/2018/05/02/putins-first-killing/]
11. www.rt.com: Russian economy gaining momentum on rising oil prices – European Commission.
12. Intellinews.com: Chris Weafer, Russia in interesting times: increased risk bad; weaker ruble good.
13. TASS: Kremlin says figures in report on Russian military spending in 2017 inaccurate.
14. Russia Beyond: Culture of waste recycling slowly beginning to emerge in Russia. (July 2015)
15. Russia Beyond: Are Russians ready to separate their garbage?
16. www.opendemocracy.net: Natalya Paramonova, Moscow’s waste wars. The “rubbish riots” that are taking place in the Moscow area demonstrate Muscovites’ distrust of their regional government.
17. Sputnik: Oil Refinery ‘A Big Beneficiary of Alliance Between Saudis and Russia is US Oil’ – Analyst.
18. The National Interest: Klaus Schäfer, Mario Mehren, and Rainer Seele, Misplaced Fears Over Nord Stream 2. Nord Stream 2 provides another reliable route for transporting gas to Europe, nothing more, nothing less.
19. www.rt.com: Moscow welcomes Trump’s desire to meet Putin, mend ties & curb arms race – Lavrov.
20. Interfax: Russia urges UK to cooperate in Investigative Committee’s probe into Skripals’ attempted murder – Lavrov.
21. TASS: Kommersant: Israel praises frank ties with Russia, says defense minister.
22. New York Times: Joost Hiltermann, Who Can Prevent a War Between Israel and Iran? Russia.
23. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Kortunov, THE DAY THE UNITED NATIONS CEASED TO EXIST.
24. Russian International Affairs Council: Pavel Sharikov, Protecting Sensitive Data: The Experience of Russia and the US. FULL VERSION OF THE ARTICLE: http://russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/protecting-sensitive-data-the-experience-of-russia-and-the-us/
25. Russiafeed.com: Matfey Shaheen, Ukrainian Leader says Half of Ukraine is Mentally Retarded. Svoboda party member Farion says Russian speaking Ukrainians are retards. [Text with maps and links http://russiafeed.com/crazy-ukrainian-leader-says-half-of-ukraine-is-mentally-retarded/]
26. Jewish Telegraphic Agency (JTA): Ukrainian Jewish leader claims Russians manipulated US lawmakers. (excerpt)
27. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, America’s Collusion With Neo-Nazis. Neo-fascists play an important official or tolerated role in US-backed Ukraine. [Text with links https://www.thenation.com/article/americas-collusion-with-neo-nazis/]
28. Emerging Europe: Anders Aslund, Ukraine Is Worth Fighting For.
29. Centre for East European and International Studies (ZOiS) (Germany): James Hughes, Turning Russians into Balts? [Text with links https://en.zois-berlin.de/publications/zois-spotlight/turning-russians-into-balts/}
30. Washington Post: David Ignatius, Armenia escapes its post-Soviet malaise. A successful grass-roots movement has found a way, for now, to straddle Russia and the West.
31. Daily Mail (UK): Dirty dossier author Christopher Steele was paid to dig dirt on Trump and Russia AFTER the election by millionaire donors whose Democratic organizer planned to pass findings to the FBI and leak them to the media. Full text: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5679485/Dirty-dossier-author-Christopher-Steele-paid-dig-dirt-Trump-Russia-election.html
32. Consortiumnews.com: Caitlin Johnstone, ‘Russian Talking Points’ Look An Awful Lot Like Well-Documented Facts. Taking positions critical of U.S. foreign policy long antecedes RT but to protect themselves from legitimate criticism Western elites brand you a Moscow mouthpiece.
33. www.rt.com: ‘Russians go after people with shady morals’, or how to capitalize on Russiagate.
34. Active Measures: https://activemeasures.com.