RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-7 :: Wednesday, 10 January 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#7
Wednesday, 10 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Interfax: Two-thirds of citizens believe Russia has enemies.
2. TASS: RBC: Ukraine, North Korea can be biggest challenges for Moscow in 2018, experts say.
3. TASS: Poll shows print media down but not out among Russians.
4. Vesti.ru: Finish Line in Sight: Presidential Election in Russia Approaches Final Stages.
5. TASS: Embassy slams US attempts to exert pressure on Russia amid upcoming polls as unacceptable.
6. RIA Novosti: Russian election chief hits back at EU over Navalny ban.
7. Fort Russ: Navalny laughs off Sobchak’s chances in presidential run.
8. TASS: Bloggers bankrolled from abroad may be labeled as foreign agents.
9. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, 10 Year of Blogging. (excerpt)
10. Russia Reviewed: My most anticipated books of 2018.
11. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, To Some In Russia, Oil Chief More Feared Than Putin. (Igor Sechin)
12. Vesti.ru: These 5 Drivers Will Shape World Economy in 2018.
13. TASS: Defense chief sets sights on beefing up Russia’s nuclear triad with advanced weaponry.
14. www.rt.com: Trump’s new nuke ‘posture’: Draft allows nuclear response to conventional attack and new warheads
15. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Daily says much of defence spending is in ‘shadow’ in Russia. (Nikolai Vardul)
16. Interfax: Drones that attacked Russian military bases in Syria could have been shipped only from U.S. – Russian senator.
17. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Drone attack on Russian bases launched from Turkish controlled area.
18. www.rt.com: Fancy Bears leak claims McLaren Report given ‘clear political order’ to exclude Russia from Olympics.
19. Kennan Institute: Brian Milakovsky, Cut Off: What Does the Economic Blockade of the Separatist Territories Mean for Ukraine?
20. Moscow Times: U.S. Orders Sputnik News Agency to Register as ‘Foreign Agent’
21. Antiwar.com: John Walsh, It Is Time for Progressives to Support the Trump-Putin Efforts at Rapprochement.
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Nobuo Shimotomai, EURASIA. RUSSIA AND ASIA AS NEW INVESTMENT PROJECTS.
23. www.strategic-culture.org: US Opens 2018 with Fake-News Bang, Suggests Russia Plotting to Cut Trans-Atlantic Internet Cables.
24. Sott.net: Everyone Is Putin’s Agent! Poroshenko and Saakashvili Each Accuse the Other of Colluding with Russia.
25. Interfax: Ukrainian Security Service questions Saakashvili for 4 hours.
26. www.thedailybeast.com: White House Official Floated Withdrawing U.S. Forces to Please Putin. A member of Trump’s National Security Council staff had a radical notion: to pare back American troops in Europe as a way to curry favor with the Kremlin.
27. www.thedailybeast.com: Trump’s Russia Ambassador: U.S.-Russia Relations ‘Done’ if Kremlin Meddles in 2018 Elections. Jon Huntsman tells a room full of lawmakers that Russia is very much on course to play a disruptive role again.
28. Newsweek.com: TRUMP-RUSSIA DOSSIER FIRM IS STILL ‘DIGGING’ UP DIRT ON THE PRESIDENT.
29. Washington Post: Ben Cardin, Never before has a president ignored such a clear national security threat. Russia’s relentless assault against democratic institutions cannot go ignored.
30. Wall Street Journal: Senate Democratic Report Alleges Russia Seeks to Undermine West. Document describes a Kremlin campaign against democratic governments in Europe and beyond; Republicans didn’t join report.