RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-66 :: Wednesday, 11 April 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#66
Wednesday, 11 April 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Sympathy towards Stalin waning in Russia, survey shows.
2. TASS: PM Medvedev says poverty huge headache for Russia, remedies taken but more work needed.
3. Washington Post editorial: A few cruise missiles from Trump won’t stop Syria’s war crimes.
4. New York Times editorial: In Syria, Trump Faces the Limits of Bluster.
5. Atlantic Council: Why Expelling Russian Diplomats Isn’t Enough.
6. Wall Street Journal: U.S. Presses Allies to Back a Military Strike on Syria.
7. Washington Post: Kremlin backers warn of threat of war with U.S. as Syria tensions rise. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/russia-backers-warn-of-threat-of-war-with-us-as-syria-tensions-rise/2018/04/10/3a5fb4ec-3cbc-11e8-912d-16c9e9b37800_story.html?utm_term=.dcf7e50cf630
8. Reuters: Trump Says U.S. Could Help Russian Economy.
9. www.rt.com: Trump: Get ready Russia, missiles will be coming at Syria, nice and new and ‘smart’!
10. www.rt.com: Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?
11. www.rt.com: Any US missiles fired at Syria will be shot down, launch sites targeted – Russian envoy to Lebanon.
12. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russia may hit back at US strike on Syria with cruise missiles.
13. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, RUSSIA VS THE WEST: A WAR SCENARIO AND A NEW LOGIC OF CONFRONTATION.
14. Indian Punchline: M. K. Bhadrakumar, US attack on Syria is futile but serves a purpose.
15. Gazeta.ru: Russian pundit urges end to slide towards war amid US sanctions. (Georgy Bovt)
16. Valdai Discussion Club: Dmitry Suslov, THE PERIOD OF STRONG TRUMP AND US FOREIGN POLICY PROSPECTS.
17. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, The Russians Are Flabbergasted. [Text with links http://www.unz.com/ishamir/the-russians-are-flabbergasted/]
18. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Gloomy Presentiments. [Text with links and comments http://www.unz.com/akarlin/gloomy-presentiments/]
19. Russia Insider: Stephen Gowans, Why the Latest Syria Gas Attack Allegations Are Almost Certainly Bunk. “The complete lack of evidence, along with a political context that favors the production of spurious allegations, suggests that the latest chemical weapons claims are-like all that have preceded them-dubious at best.”
20. Consortiumnews.com: Rick Sterling, Taking the World to the Brink. As American drums beat again for war, Rick Sterling steps back to contemplate the possible consequences this time. [Text with links https://consortiumnews.com/2018/04/10/taking-the-world-to-the-brink/]
21. The Nation: Nadezhda Azhgikhina, ‘Novaya Gazeta’ Continues to Be the Watchdog of Russian Democracy. It is a sail of hope for those who believe in the future of Russia, free of arbitrary rule, lies, and contempt for human beings.
22. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Daily doubts opposition agrees on Moscow mayoral primaries.
23. www.rt.com: Russian ruble crashes but fall may be temporary – analysts.
24. TASS: RBC: Weaker ruble to benefit Russian federal budget, exporters.
25. TASS: Kommersant: Ruble devaluation to boost Russian grain exports.
26. Financial Times: Medvedev threatens Russian counter-measures on US goods.
27. Bloomberg: Russian Sanctions Are Maybe a Problem for You. Bans on securities trading seem to leave anyone in finance vulnerable to falling foul of the U.S. [Text with links https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2018-04-11/russian-sanctions-are-a-creeping-problem-in-world-markets]
28. CNBC.com: No longer safe assets: Invest in Russia at your own risk after US sanctions, strategist says.
29. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, THE LONELINESS OF THE HALF-BREED. (re Vladislav Surkov) [Text with links and comments https://irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/04/10/the-loneliness-of-the-half-breed/]
30. Awful Avalanche: Free Julia Skripal!
31. Orientalreview.org: Skripal’s Pets Were Sacrificed to Cover the Investigation’s Mistakes.
32. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov and Malcolm Chalmers, We Will Need to Return to Dialogue.
33. Valdai Discussion Club: Rein Mullerson, LAW AND POLITICS OF THE ‘SKRIPAL CASE’
34. Washington Post: Daniel Twining and Kenneth Wollack, Russia’s nefarious meddling is nothing like democracy assistance.
35. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Remarks and reply by Ambassador Vassily Nebenzya, Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to the United Nations, at the UN Security Council meeting regarding the March 13, 2018 letter from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, New York, April 5, 2018. (re Skripal affair) [mid.ru/en/web/guest/o-situacii-vokrug-otravlenia-s.skripala-i-ego-doceri-v-velikobritanii/-/asset_publisher/miIpunj3lj96/content/id/3155420]