RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-65 :: Tuesday, 10 April 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#65
Tuesday, 10 April 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. RFE/RL: Russia Faces ‘100 Years Of Solitude’ (Or More), Putin Aide Says. (Vladislav Surkov)
2. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Pundit views ‘global context’ of deterioration in Russia-West relations. (Fyodor Lukyanov)
3. TASS: Russia can’t grasp US intentions, which hinders talks, says diplomat.
4. www.rt.com: ‘Mutant fish in murky waters’: US brings global chaos & has no real friends, says Russia’s UN envoy.
5. Russia Beyond: What do Russians think about legalizing guns in the Motherland? [rbth.com/lifestyle/328013-legalize-guns-russia]
6. Russiafeed.com: Paul Goncharoff, A guide to marketing in today’s fast-changing Russia. The magical allure of “Imported” is quickly losing its sparkle in Russia.
7. TASS: West’s sanctions force Russia to manage its wealth wisely, says Kurchatov Institute chief.
8. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Buy the panic: analysts mark Russia’s stock market up to buy.
9. Reuters: ‘Russia in the doldrums?’: new U.S. sanctions to weigh on recovery.
10. Interfax: Kudrin notes stability of Russian financial market Tuesday after Monday’s crash.
11. Moscow Times: ‘No Doubt’ Russia Can Weather U.S. Sanctions, Economic Development Minister Says.
12. RFE/RL: Ruble Falls Further, Russian Officials Seek To Calm Nerves.
13. Vesti.ru: Medvedev: US Sanctions Are Unacceptable and Illegitimate, Moscow Will Respond. [vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3005425&cid=4441]
14. Bloomberg: Russia Retaliation for Sanctions Could Hit U.S. Companies.
15. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, How Can Russia Hurt the US? [Text with links unz.com/akarlin/how-can-russia-hurt-the-us/]
16. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Why the U.S. Targeted This Russian Oligarch. The billionaire Oleg Deripaska is no Putin crony, but he helps flood the U.S. with imported aluminum.
17. Wall Street Journal: Fresh Russian Sanctions Snare Some Western Firms.
18. NBCNews.com: Trump officials can’t agree whether U.S. has hit Russia ‘where it hurts.’ A top NSA official says no, while Trump’s chief cyber adviser says yes.
19. Moscow Times: To Avert U.S. Retaliation, Russia Proposes Inspection of Syria Attack Site.
20. Sic Semper Tyrannis: W. Patrick Lang, An appeal to James Mattis. [Text with comments turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2018/04/an-appeal-to-james-mattis.html]
21. Indian Punchline: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Moscow warns Trump against attack on Syria.
22. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Russia controls Douma, guarantees impartial investigation; that makes US attack MORE likely. US likely to launch strike because with Russia controlling Douma it risks losing control of the narrative. [Text with links theduran.com/russia-controls-douma-guarantees-impartial-investigation-us-attack-more-likely/]
23. www.rt.com: No doubt Douma ‘chemical attack’ staged, OPCW must investigate on ground in Syria – Russia UN envoy.
24. www.rt.com: Duma defense chief says Russia may respond with military force to US strike on Syria.
25. The National Interest: Dave Majumdar, Here Is How Russia and America Could Go to War in Syria.
26. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, GOOD FRIDAY, RESURRECTION SUNDAY – RUSSIA’S NEW WAR CABINET TO BE HEADED BY SERGEI SOBYANIN. [Text with photo, charts, links, and footnotes johnhelmer.org/?p=17683#more-17683]
27. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, The Urgent Need for a U.S. – Russia Summit.
28. Rethinking Russia: Pavel Viktorov and Alexander Sheffner, The Paradoxes of the Russian Defense Ministry’s ‘Soft Power’
29. Valdai Discussion Club: FYODOR LUKYANOV: OLD WORLD SYSTEM IS SHATTERED, RUSSIA AND IRAN MUST WORK TO BUILD A NEW ONE.
30. Antiwar.com: Sheldon Richman, Who’s Afraid of Russian Propaganda? original.antiwar.com/srichman/2018/04/09/whos-afraid-of-russian-propaganda/
31. www.academic.edu: Ivan Katchanovski, Shooting of Maidan Protesters from Maidan-Controlled Locations: Video Appendix C.
32. Russia Matters: Kevin Doyle, Team Trump on Russia: John Bolton’s Views. [Full text russiamatters.org/analysis/team-trump-russia-john-boltons-views]
33. Foreignpolicy.com: Amie Ferris-Rotman, Putin’s War on Women.