RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-64 :: Monday, 9 April 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#64
Monday, 9 April 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, BOOK REVIEW: EVERYDAY LAW IN RUSSIA.
2. Bear Market Brief: Russian stocks hit by massive sell off in wake of new sanctions.
3. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Latest US sanctions on Russia: incitement to a coup and a new form of protectionism. The latest sanctions seem concerned as much with protecting the US’s economic positions as punishing Russia. [Text with links http://theduran.com/latest-us-sanctions-on-russia-incitement-coup-new-form-of-protectionism/]
4. Paul Goble: New Sanctions Won’t Spark Conspiracy Against Putin or Reverse His Policies, Shevtsova Says.
5. Meduza: Taking on Russia’s ‘oligarchs’ Meduza looks at the businessmen, state officials, and companies targeted in the latest U.S. sanctions. (excerpt)
6. Financial Times: Search for rationale behind US sanctions list. Selection may be warning to Moscow of how much damage new legislation could impose.
7. Bear Market Brief: Max Hess, Zapret a manger: Russia’s elites face growing sanctions pressure.
8. Wall Street Journal: U.S. Orders Americans to Leave Blacklisted Russian Firms. Policy comes alongside U.S. sanctions on oligarchs.
9. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow plans retaliatory measures against latest US Treasury sanctions move.
10. www.rt.com: Russia to Britain: ‘You can keep the criminals, but return the money’
11. Vesti.ru: Putin Makes Aggressive Move to Bust Up Monopolies, Warns Entrepreneurs Not to Abuse Their Position. [News video with English subtitles vesti.ru/doc.html?id=3005051&cid=4441]
12. Interfax: Moscow urges London to explain situation surrounding visa for Victoria Skripal – Foreign Ministry.
13. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Skripal case: Russia counter-attacks; Britain responds by tightening access to Yulia Skripal. Britain struggles to respond to Russia’s diplomatic counter-offensive, stonewalls all Russian attempts to gain access to Yulia Skripal. (excerpt) [Full text with links theduran.com/skripal-case-russia-counter-attacks-britain-responds-tightening-access-yulia-skripal/]
14. The Blogmire: Rob Slane, The Slowly Building Anger in the UK at the Government’s Handling of the Skripal Case. [Text with links theblogmire.com/the-slowly-building-anger-in-the-uk-at-the-governments-handling-of-the-skripal-case/]
15. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, SALISBURY HOSPITAL BECOMES SECRET RENDITION CENTER FOR YULIA SKRIPAL. (excerpt)
16. Awful Avalanche: Zakharova Reacts to Callous Liquidation of Skripal Animals. (excerpt) [Full text with links awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/zakharova-reacts-to-callous-liquidation-of-skripal-animals/]
17. Consortiumnews.com: Caitlin Johnstone, UK’s Russia Narrative: A Verdict in Search of a Crime. British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson is on increasingly shaky ground when it comes to his bombastic accusations against Russia in the Skripal case. [Text with links consortiumnews.com/2018/04/07/the-uks-russia-narrative-a-verdict-in-search-of-a-crime/]
18. Moon of Alabama: The Best Explanation For The Skripal Drama Is Still…Food Poisoning. (excerpt) [Full text with links moonofalabama.org/2018/04/the-best-explanation-for-the-skripal-drama-is-food-poisoning.html#more]
19. Huffington Post (UK): This Is Why Russia Has Over 20 Explanations For The Skripal Poisoning. ‘A rich buffet of nonsense.’ (with Mark Galeotti) [Full text huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/russia-skripal-explanations_uk_5ac733abe4b09d0a11922dc9]
20. www.rt.com: CIA & MI6 may offer Skripals new IDs, relocation to Five Eyes country – report.
22. Washington Post: Expelled from Russia, U.S. diplomats bid a wistful farewell. (video)
23. Russia Beyond: Drop it all and quit everything: Why Russians choose to downshift. [Text with links rbth.com/lifestyle/327974-downshifting-russia]
24. Foreignpolicy.com: Dov Zakheim, Don’t Blame Russia. Blame Putin. The U.S. president has strong personal reasons to remain in the Russian leader’s good graces.
25. TASS: Kommersant: Douma chemical attack escalates already toxic Russian-US tensions.
26. Russia Insider: Douma Chemical Attack: Timeline of Facts so Far.
27. Wall Street Journal: Syrian Attack Sends Toxic Cloud Over Trump-Putin Ties. Efforts by the U.S. president to maintain a cordial relationship come under increased strain.
28. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Douma and Dumber. (excerpt) [Full text unz.com/akarlin/douma-and-dumber/]
29. Newsweek.com: NOW MATTIS ADMITS THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE ASSAD USED POISON GAS ON HIS PEOPLE. (February 2018)
30. http://usforeignpolicy.blogs.lalibre.be: Gilbert Doctorow, The Saker’s “Grim View”
31. Reuters: Arizona Election Database Targeted in 2016 by Criminals, Not Russia: Source.
32. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, EXPELLED FOR TWEETING.
33. Russia International Affairs Council: Aleksandr Gushchin, Four Years of EU-Ukraine Association: Teething Problems or Permanent Crisis?
34. The Restless Russianist: Johannes Due Enstad, Russian volunteers in Ukraine and defensive mobilization.
35. The New Cold War: Halyna Mokrushyna, On the constitutionality of declaring unconstitutional the 2012 language law in Ukraine, and the prospects of a united Ukraine.