RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-6 :: Tuesday, 9 January 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#6
Tuesday, 9 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Poll shows most Russians satisfied with life and domestic atmosphere.
2. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrei Kortunov, What Does 2018 Have in Store for the Kremlin?
3. www.thedailybeast.com: Anna Nemtsova, Now Shaking Up Russia: The Bernie Bro Taking on Putin on His Home Turf. The strategist for a socialite candidate running what’s seemed a quixotic campaign against Putin for the presidency already has handed the Kremlin some surprises.
4. Meduza: Russia’s invisible, ubiquitous lobbyists How armies of fixers and specialists negotiate the nation’s dicey relationship between businesses and the state. (excerpt)
5. https://raamoprusland.nl: Mark Galeotti, Putin will elevate loyalty over all in his next presidency. (excerpt)
6. Intellinews.com: Russians’ borrowing grows ahead of savings.
7. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia’s equity market sets out on its fifth super cycle.
8. Vesti.ru: DOCUMENTARY: The 2014 Financial/Energy Crisis Failed to Ruin Russia. Here’s Why.
9. Valdai Discussion Club: Robert Legvold, US-RUSSIAN RELATIONS IN 2017: EXTREME DISAPPOINTMENT.
10. Bloomberg: Siberian Gas by Way of London Rescues Chilly Boston.
11. Valdai Discussion Club: Richard Weitz, TRUMP OFFERS COOPERATION ON UKRAINE, SYRIA, AND MISSILE DEFENSE.
12. Reuters: Talks with rebels in no-man’s land as Russia eyes post-war role in Syria.
13. TASS: Defense Ministry: US plane spotted near Hmeymim during terror attack on Russian facilities.
14. www.rt.com: Drones used by Syrian terrorists ‘require advanced training’ – Russian MoD in response to US
15. TASS: Lawmaker suggests Russia act as mediator at talks between North, South Korea.
16. The Diplomat: Dmitriy Frolovskiy, The Coming India-Russia Split. Shifting geopolitical dynamics, especially the rise of China, spell trouble for this long-standing relationship.
17. Oxford University Press: Shaun Walker, Putin and patriotism: national pride after the fall of the Soviet Union. (excerpt)
18. European Journal of International Security: Kimberly Marten, Reconsidering NATO expansion: a counterfactual analysis of Russia and the West in the 1990s. (excerpt)
19. Abkhaz World: Colonel Robert Hamilton on Abkhazia (again): A Reply (again) from George Hewitt.
20. TASS: US started seeing ‘Kremlin’s hand’ in polls only after Trump’s victory – Russian diplomat.
21. New York Times: Fusion GPS Founder Hauled From the Shadows for the Russia Election Investigation.
22. The Hill: FBI agents’ text messages spur congressional probe into possible news leaks.
23. Wall Street Journal editorial: The Russian Transparency Front. A House committee is finally getting to see Steele dossier papers.
24. Sputnik: Neil Clark, 2018 – The Year in Russophobia.
25. The Guardian (UK): From Seinfeld’s cable guys to Viktor Petrov: a TV history of Russian baddies.
26. Russian Universe: Sergei Armeyskovin, The Russian Universe Vocabulary.