RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-27 :: Wednesday, 7 February 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#27
Wednesday, 7 February 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Russia’s media scene: not just a state affair. Despite Western preconceptions of a Soviet-like puppet media, the Russian news landscape is quite diverse, with outlets public and private, big and small. But government influence remains a critical concern.
2. TASS: Living longer: Russia’s life expectancy may hit new high by 2025, says ex-finance minister. (Kudrin)
3. Foreign Affairs: Chris Miller, The Surprising Success of Putinomics. Behind Putin’s Formula for Holding Onto Power.
4. www.rt.com: 2 more Russians register as candidates in presidential poll.
5. TASS: Putin declares total income of about $675,000 in past six years.
6. Moscow Times: Grigory Melkonyants, How to Monitor Russia’s Next Election.
7. Paul Goble: Local Referenda Could Become the Black Swans of the Upcoming Election, Galyamina Says.
8. Wall Street Journal: Putin Supporters’ Election Pitch: Remember Stalingrad. Video made at memorial to WWII victory is part of patriotic wave ahead of Russia’s March election.
9. Interfax: Navalny tells of his questioning at Investigative Committee.
10. ABCNews.com: Meet the Russian presidential candidate who’s not afraid to take on Putin. (Ksenia Sobchak)
11. www.rt.com: Rogue Russian businessmen living in UK seek safe passage home.
12. Bear Market Brief: Titov’s businessmen: well, actually…
13. Fort Russ: Back to the 1990s? Kudrin proposes country-wide privatization.
14. Russia Beyond: Yulia Shamporova, A question of life or death: Why Russia needs to embrace feminism.
15. Russia Beyond: Vicky Lova, Why Russian women don’t need western-style feminism.
16. TASS: Russia should not copy foreign methods of climate change control, Putin’s adviser says.
17. Bloomberg: Some Russians Are Loving This Blizzard of the Century. (re agriculture)
18. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, How Elon Musk Beat Russia’s Space Program. The upstart billionaire’s private passion enabled SpaceX to achieve things the Russian industry has given up.
19. Intellinews.com: Carmen Valache, Russia’s sports establishment remains too hard a nut to crack.
20. TASS: West’s strive to discredit Russian Olympians used as tool to punish Russia – Lavrov.
21. The Real News: Far From Hurting Putin, US ‘Oligarch’ List Could Help. The Trump administration has admitted a new report about Russian oligarchs is based on a Forbes list. Stephen F. Cohen, professor emeritus at New York University and Princeton University, says the report could ultimately help Putin force wealthy Russians to bring their overseas money back home. Cohen also discusses Russia’s upcoming election. [Video of interview http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=21067#.WnoTi3xzbn0.twitter]
22. TASS: Russian senior diplomat blasts Washington’s ‘spoiled brat’ behavior.
23. Vedomosti: Russian daily views new US nuclear doctrine.
24. The National Interest: Jeffrey Edmonds, How America Could Accidentally Push Russia into a Nuclear War. America runs the risk of misunderstanding the context within which the Russian government would use its nuclear weapons.
25. Financial Times: Russia and Saudi Arabia put aside differences to forge energy pact. Moscow and Riyadh in unlikely alliance in face of threat from US shale boom.
26. Interfax: Russia starts sending N. Korean labor migrants back home – ambassador in Pyongyang.
27. www.rt.com: Bryan McDonald, Your guide to top anti-Russia think tanks in US & who funds them. [Text with graphics and links https://www.rt.com/usa/418035-anti-russia-think-tanks/]
28. Academia.edu: Ivan Katchanovski, Video Appendix B: Testimonies of 60 Witnesses Concerning “Snipers” in Maidan-Controlled Buildings and Areas
29. Washington Post: Adam Taylor, More Russians are sure of the U.S. meddling in their politics than the other way around, poll finds.
30. www.rt.com: Republicans embrace idea of ‘Russia collusion’…with Hillary Clinton.
31. Novaya Gazeta: Commentator says US political infighting behind Putin list. (Yulia Latynina)
32. Wall Street Journal: GOP Senators: Ex-Spy Provided ‘Bulk of Allegations’ in Surveillance Request. Court approved Justice Department application to spy on former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page.
33. Facebook: Fred Weir, The Steele Dossier.
34. Forbes.com: Thomas Del Beccaro, Biased FBI and DOJ Officials Broke The Law And Tried To Decide The Election – an Annotated Timeline. (excerpt) [Full text forbes.com/sites/thomasdelbeccaro/2018/02/05/biased-fbi-and-doj-officials-broke-the-law-and-tried-to-decide-the-election-an-annotated-timeline/#444706087f34]
35. AP: Russian Hackers Hunt Hi-Tech Secrets, Exploiting US Weakness. (excerpt) [Full text nytimes.com/aponline/2018/02/07/us/politics/ap-us-russian-hackers-contractors.html]
36. The Hill: Frank Gunter, Why does Trump hate Russia?