RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-220 :: Thursday, 27 December 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#220 :: Thursday, 27 December 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The Nation: Sarah Lindemann-Komarova, Maria Butina and the Criminalization of Citizen Diplomacy.Prosecuting Butina endangers NGO activists in both Russia and the US.
2. The Guardian (UK): Jonathan Steele, Russia Without Putin by Tony Wood review – myths of the new cold war.Putin hasn’t deviated from Yeltsin, the Soviet past was a great help to the new Russia, and other original arguments.
3. The Independent (UK): Mary Dejevsky, How Russia has distorted the Trump balance sheet (and it’s not how you think). The real debits and the real credits of the president’s first two years are being widely missed, for one reason and one reason alone.
4. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Do Russiagate Promoters Prefer Impeaching Trump to Avoiding War With Russia? The year 2018 in the history of the new Cold War.
5. Bloomberg: Russia Considers Constitution Changes as Putin Faces Term Limits.
6. TASS: Kremlin not assessing how Russia’s constitution complies with current realities.
7. www.rt.com: In army & church we trust, Russians tell state pollster.
8. TASS: Russia will not run to economic isolationism, says Putin.
9. Xinhua: Putin says Russia to enhance economic competitiveness in response to sanctions.
10. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with representatives of the Russian business community.
11. TASS: Izvestia: Russia’s economy weathers falling oil prices.
12. Intellinews.com: OUTLOOK 2019 Russia.
13. Moscow Times: Russians’ Real Incomes Set to Fall Again in 2019.
14. Vedomosti: Why Most Russians Will Stay Home for New Year’s. As Incomes Crumble, Even Celebrating with Friends Is Too Expensive for Them.
15. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Putin Had a Bad 2018; Next Year Will Be Worse. Russia’s economy is weakened by sanctions and falling oil prices, and the president’s popularity is slipping.
16. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Time to abandon sanctions on Russia.
17. www.rt.com: More sanctions please: Russia-EU trade turnover surges by almost 22%.
18. Russia Matters: Nick Butler, How Well Are Russia Sanctions Working?
19. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, DEATH BY NATURAL CAUSES.
20. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson. FALSE FLAG CONFESSION.
21. The Nation: Nadezhda Azhgikhina, The Lessons of Lyudmila Alexeyeva. The legendary human-rights activist died at 91 on December 8, 2018. It was the end of an era.
22. Russia In Global Affairs: Igor Ivanov, Entering 2019: Challenges and Opportunities. We should fully reject the concept of Western, or liberal, universalism in favor of developmental pluralism.
23. Moscow Times: Foreign Policy Experts Map Russia’s Grand Designs for 2019. Here’s what Russia has in store for the world.
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Robert Legvold, Death of the INF Treaty.
25. Paul Goble: ‘Era of Russian-American Nuclear Parity Rapidly Coming to an End’ and Not in Russia’s Favor, Vorobyev Says
26. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, How Russia Views Mattis’ Departure. Moscow isn’t exactly jumping for joy.
27. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov, The European Decalogue and the Middle Eastern Duodecim.
28. Valdai Discussion CLub: Andrei Frolov, Russian Bombers in Venezuela: No Need for Permanent Air Base.
29. www.strategic-culture.org: Dmitry Babich, Belarusian Leader Lukashenko Has Misplaced His Faith in a Compromise with the West – Again.
30. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, Quandaries of the Kerch Crisis. The United States must act cautiously to defuse the new crisis in the Sea of Azov.
31. Intellinews.com: OUTLOOK 2019 Ukraine.
32. TASS: Kommersant: Will lifting martial law turn Poroshenko into the presidential frontrunner?
33. Awful Avalanche: Ukrainian Metropolitan Epiphany Punked – Part I.
34. Interfax: Russian Orthodox Church accuses Patriarch Bartholomew of fulfilling U.S. order in Ukraine.
35. www.rt.com: Integrity Initiative is the biggest story of 2018 – but not because of anything it did.
36. New book: John Helmer, The Man Who Knows Too Much About Russia. THE GENUINE GOLDEN SHOWER – JOHN HELMER’S MEMOIRS OF VLADIMIR PUTIN FROM 1991 TO 2018.
37. Counterpunch.org; Carl Boggs, Russophobia and the Specter of War.
38. Russia Beyond: 3 major reasons that caused the collapse of the USSR.
39. Meduza: ‘Crucify me right here’ The post-presidential life of Mikhail Gorbachev.