RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-214 :: Monday, 10 December 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#214 :: Monday, 10 December 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Meduza: The extraordinary life of Lyudmila Alexeyeva — Meduza remembers a Russian human rights icon.
2. TASS: Putin offers condolences over death of human rights activist Alekseeva.
3. Interfax: Lyudmila Alexeyeva symbol of honesty, uncompromising struggle for human rights – Moskalkova.
4. Paul Goble: An Alekseyeva Lesson Russians Haven’t Learned: Far More has to Be Changed than Just the Leader.
6. Intellinews.com: Pew report finds that Russia, Putin international stature is growing.
7. TASS: World in state of transformation, Russia needs to keep up – Putin.
8. TASS: Leadership not in promising “manna from heaven” but in making crucial decisions – Putin.
9. Kremlin.ru: The President addressed United Russia party congress.
10. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, Is Russia a U.S. ‘Adversary’ or Just a ‘Competitor’? Dealing with Russia as a serious competitor-even given its economic size and population endowment-also requires facing up to the challenge of how to compete.
11. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, ARMS RACE. [irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/12/07/arms-race/]
12. Awful Avalanche: Russian Jews Never Had It So Good – Part I. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/12/08/russian-jews-never-had-it-so-good-part-i/]
13. Awful Avalanche: Russian Jews Never Had It So Good – Part II.
14. www.rt.com: Russia beats out China in top 3 emerging economies list.
15. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Why would Russian oligarch Mikhail Fridman want to sell Alfa Bank?
16. RFE/RL: Russia Rises To Second In Global Arms Sales, With U.S. Still At No. 1.
17. TASS: Russia to start reducing oil production as quickly as possible, says energy chief.
18. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Russian-Saudi Oil Cooperation Won’t Last. They say they will cut production. But it’s in the interests of both big oil producers to pump as much as they can.
19. Al-Monitor: Ruslan Mamedov, Putin eyes visit to Baghdad amid growing Russian-Iraqi contacts.
20. Russia Matters: Edward Lemon, Vera Mironova and William Tobey, Jihadists from Ex-Soviet Central Asia: Where Are They? Why Did They Radicalize? What Next? (excerpt)
21. New York Times: David E. Sanger and William J. Broad, A Cold War Arms Treaty Is Unraveling. But the Problem Is Much Bigger.
22. Asia Times: Richard A. Bitzinger, The China agenda behind Trump leaving the INF treaty.
23. Financial Times: Armenia’s prime minister wins sweeping majority in election. Pashinyan set to consolidate strong mandate for revolution that swept him to power.
24. TASS: Ukrainian ships violated rules of passage of Kerch Strait, operating for 20 years – FSB.
25. TASS: Flash mob for the faithful: Ukrainian priests fight SBU persecution of canonical church.
26. The Daily Telegraph (UK): Alec Luhn, Ukraine vs Russia: Inside the the biggest schism in Orthodox Christianity in 350 years.
27. Russia Insider: Gilbert Doctorow, Maltreated Prisoners of War and Prisoners of Conscience Rotting in Ukrainian Jails – A List. [russia-insider.com/en/maltreated-prisoners-war-and-prisoners-conscience-rotting-ukrainian-jails-list/ri25621]
28. The New Cold War: Separatists: A bitter-sweet film about life in the Donbass. newcoldwar.org/separatists-a-bitter-sweet-film-about-life-in-the-donbass/
29. Wall Street Journal: Ukraine’s Yulia Tymoshenko Courts Washington After Manafort Revelations. Presidential candidate and former prime minister says efforts to discredit her should dispel concerns about her past.
30. Wall Street Journal editorial: Wrap It Up, Mr. Mueller. Democratic dilemma: Impeach Trump for lying about sex?
31. Vanity Fair: T.A. Frank, IS THIS IT?: A TRUMP-HATER’S GUIDE TO MUELLER SKEPTICISM. Mueller’s comportment suggests a man who’s fallen prey to the same state of mind that warped Ken Starr – namely disgust over the people you’re investigating and a desire to justify the sunk capital. Even if the special counsel presents one hell of a report, Democrats must ask: was it worth it?
32. www.rt.com: Comey admits FBI failed to verify Steele Dossier it used to obtain a spy warrant on Trump’s aide. [rt.com/usa/445983-steele-dossier-not-verified-comey/]
[Full transcript And video Of James Comey’s Capitol Hill Testimony: zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-08/full-transcript-and-video-james-comeys-capitol-hill-testimony]