RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-212 :: Thursday, 6 December 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#212 :: Thursday, 6 December 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL Home: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Sarah Lindemann-Komarova: Russia’s Happy Ending.
2. TASS: Over 60% of Russians use Internet every day, research shows.
3. Interfax: Diseases caused by bad nutrition cause 63% of deaths in Russia – Rospotrebnadzor.
4. Awful Avalanche: A Day In The Life Of A Siberian Clinic – Part III. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/12/04/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-siberian-clinic-part-iii/]
5. Awful Avalanche: A Day In The Life Of A Siberian Clinic – Part IV. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/12/05/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-siberian-clinic-part-iv/]
6. Awful Avalanche: A Day In The Life Of A Siberian Clinic – Part V. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/12/06/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-siberian-clinic-part-v/]
7. TASS: Russia’s retirement age hike aimed at long-term perspective, Medvedev says.
8. Moscow Times: Medvedev: Pension Reform Was Hardest Decision of the Past Decade.
9. Meduza: Two Higher School of Economics professors explain how the Russian Constitution keeps democratization hopes alive.
10. Meduza: Suboptimal optimization Cutbacks to Russia’s social spending are erasing jobs and childcare in remote towns.
11. Moscow Times/Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Who Are Russia’s Heroes? It May Surprise You.
12. TASS: PM says domestic investment can drive Russia’s economic growth.
13. www.rt.com: Russia seeks to ‘feed the whole planet’ – PM.
14. Bear Market Brief: Russia to lag developed economies’ growth until 2028.
15. The Economist: Good times in Grainville. Russia has emerged as an agricultural powerhouse. Enterprising farmers have overcome the legacy of Soviet collectivisation.
16. Oilprice.com: World Bank: Russia Can Withstand Oil Price Volatility In 2019.
17. www.rt.com: Putin calls for common dollar-less payment system as key for economic sovereignty.
18. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, THE KREMLIN’S TROJAN HORSES.
19. Valdai Discussion Club: On Great-Power Rivalry in the Age of Ultimatums. Formally, the Valdai Discussion Club’s expert discussion on December 5 was dedicated to Russian-American relations. The experts Alan Cafruny, Dmitry Suslov and Ivan Timofeev transgressed the borders of the topic to reach a more global level, which appeared to be – no more no less, – a great-power rivalry.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Sergey Veselovsky, Russia-US: Prospects for Strategic Arms Control.
21. TASS: Izvestia: Putin cautions Washington against abandoning INF deal.
22. Wall Street Journal: Putin Threatens Arms Race as U.S. Prepares to Exit Nuclear Treaty. U.S. gives Moscow deadline to comply with pact; Russia says it will respond if Washington withdraws from the treaty.
23. Paul Goble: Any US-Russia Military Clash ‘Highly Likely’ to Escalate into Nuclear War, Arbatov Says.
24. Washington Post: Mikhail Gorbachev and George P. Shultz, We participated in INF negotiations. Abandoning it threatens our very existence.
25. Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces: Pavel Podvig, Russia insists it is in compliance with the INF Treaty. [russianforces.org/blog/2018/11/russia_insists_it_is_in_compli.shtml]
26. www.strategic-culture.org: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Putin initiates trilateral summit with India and China. [strategic-culture.org/news/2018/12/04/putin-initiates-trilateral-summit-with-india-and-china.html]
27. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia partially unblocks Sea of Azov ports, Ukraine takes its complaints to international bodies.
28. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, New Cold War Dangers. The Russian-Ukrainian military conflict in the Kerch Strait illustrates again how this Cold War is more dangerous that was its predecessor.
29. The National Interest: Enzo Moavero Milanesi Thomas Greminger, Safe Harbor: The OSCE Can Help Calm Tensions in the Azov Sea. Ukraine and Russia should seize the opportunity for dialogue and diplomacy at this week’s annual meeting of Foreign Ministers from countries of the world’s largest regional security organization, the OSCE
30. RFE/RL: All For Nothing: Maidan Protester Deeply Disillusioned Five Years On.
31. New York Times: Petro Poroshenko, Putin Must Be Punished. Russia can’t be allowed to get away with its brazen aggression against Ukraine. The West needs to act.
32. Interfax: SBU unit’s behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media.
33. Washington Post: Matthew Lenoe, Why it’s time to give the Soviet Union its due for World War II. The Soviet effort was essential to defeating the Nazis.
34. The Unz Review: The Saker, Why Russia Won’t Invade the Ukraine, the Baltic Statelets or Anybody Else. (excerpt) [unz.com/tsaker/why-russia-wont-invade-the-ukraine-the-baltic-statelets-or-anybody-else/]
35. Antiwar.com: David Stockman, Hey, Mr. Trump! Tear Down That Deep State Wall – Of Secrecy. (part 1) [original.antiwar.com/David_Stockman/2018/12/03/hey-mr-trump-tear-down-that-deep-state-wall-of-secrecy/]