RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-206 :: Monday, 26 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#206 :: Monday, 26 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter:
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Intellinews.com: The vast majority of Russians say they are happy.
2. Valdai Discussion Club: David Lane, Demonising Russia and the Geopolitical Consequences. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/demonising-russia/]
3. New York Times: Alexander Baunov, What Drives the Russian State. To understand what makes Putin and his allies act the way they do, you need to look beyond the myths.
4. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, Thanks to the BBC Propaganda Show, the Plausibility of the Door Handle Theory Just Plummeted to Freezing Point. (re Skripals)[theblogmire.com/thanks-to-the-bbc-propaganda-show-the-plausibility-of-the-door-handle-theory-just-plummeted-to-freezing-point/]
5. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, LACK OF INTEGRITY. (re “Integrity Initiative”)[irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/11/25/lack-of-integrity/]
6. www.rt.com: Anonymous blows lid off huge psyop in Europe and it’s funded by UK & US. [rt.com/news/444737-uk-funded-campaign-russia-leaks/] [moonofalabama.org/2018/11/british-government-behind-secret-anti-russian-disinformation-campaign.html]
[Further: November 26: “EU-wide ‘anti-Russian psy-ops’ program confirms UK govt funding, Anonymous denies leak”: rt.com/news/444899-uk-psyop-leak-reaction/]
7. www.rt.com: First LNG shipment from Russia’s Arctic to arrive in Northern Europe.
8. Wall Street Journal: Russia Flexes Muscles as Natural Gas Industry Booms. Russia has emerged this year as a major player in the burgeoning market for liquefied natural gas.
9. The National Interest: Nikolay Pakhomov, Oil Sanctions on Iran Will Benefit Russia. Here’s How. U.S. sanctions on Tehran create a strategic opportunity for Moscow.
10. Moscow Times: Russia Says It Is Planning for New U.S. Nuclear Missiles in Europe.
11. www.rt.com: US tried to get classified data on Russian missiles with claims of INF Treaty violation – deputy FM.
12. Strategic Culture Foundation: Andrei Akulov, More Details on Reasons Behind US Decision to Leave INF Treaty. [strategic-culture.org/news/2018/11/25/more-details-on-reasons-behind-us-decision-to-leave-inf-treaty.html]
13. Antiwar.com: US Envoy: US, Russian Forces Have Clashed a Dozen Times in Syria. Says US is acting appropriately in fighting Russians.
14. Russian International Affairs Council: Ekaterina Koldunova, ASEAN, EAS and APEC: What Russia Achieved in 2018.
15. Interfax: Poroshenko fails to make speech on martial law after several factions block Rada rostrum.
16. Interfax: Ukrainian Security Council proposes martial law until Jan 25, 2019.
17. Wall Street Journal: Russia-Ukraine Standoff Intensifies Over Captured Vessels. Kiev has troops on military alert and demands Moscow releases the ships and crew members.
18. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Tensions between Russia and Ukraine flare after Russian navy vessel rams a Ukrainian tug in the Sea of Azov.
19. Moscow Times/Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Putin and Poroshenko Don’t Want All-Out War . Both leaders will keep the confrontation simmering and the propaganda guns blazing.
20. www.rt.com: Last chance to stay in power? Ukrainian President Poroshenko signs decree on martial law.
21. Kyiv Post: Martial law: Few changes for military, many implications for elections.
22. Russia Insider: Rostislav Ishchenko, The Context to Understand the Russian-Ukrainian Naval Clash at Kerch Strait. Ukrainian Navy was allowed to navigate the strait in the summer when it made the request in advance but this time it attempted force passage without coordinating with the Russians. [russia-insider.com/en/context-understand-russian-ukrainian-naval-clash-kerch-strait/ri25471]
23. www.rt.com: Tense standoff around Kerch Strait between Russia & Ukraine: How it developed. [rt.com/news/444857-russia-ukraine-kerch-strait-standoff/]
24. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, Phanar Phantom. The Ukrainian Orthodox Schism.[unz.com/ishamir/phanar-phantom/]
25. New York Times: 85 Years Later, Ukraine Marks Famine That Killed Millions.
26. Awful Avalanche: The Myth of the Ukrainian Holodomor – Part I.
27. Awful Avalanche: The Myth of the Ukrainian Holodomor – Part II.
28. Irish Times: Irish Times view on Ukraine’s Maidan revolution, five years on. Next year’s elections will be dirty and could be dangerous, and may not bring any positive change.
29. The Times (UK): Russia has more faith healers than doctors, and many millions believe their troubles can be put right by sorcery.
30. New York Times: Maria Antonova, When Russia Was Full of Hope.
31. Paul Goble: Asking Why Putin Survives is Asking What Russia Is and Can Be, Shevtsova Says.
32. www.rt.com: Make Moscow evil again! UK general claims Russia is worse than ISIS. [rt.com/uk/444778-uk-russia-threat-isis/]