RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-194 :: Monday, 5 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#194 :: Monday, 5 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Russia celebrates National Unity Day.
2. Kremlin.ru: Reception marking National Unity Day.
3. Paul Goble: Russia Needs Not Gray Unity but a Bright Alliance of Diverse but Equal People, Kurbangaleyeva Says.
4. AP: Why It’s Still in Russia’s Interest to Mess With US Politics.
5. New York Times: Mystery of the Midterm Elections: Where Are the Russians?
6. Wall Street Journal: U.S. Girds for Possible Russian Meddling on Election Day. Since 2016, officials have hired technology experts, established training for poll workers, and in some cases purchased new voting equipment.
7. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, It’s not Russia that’s damaging American democracy – it’s money. [rt.com/op-ed/443088-money-damaging-us-democracy-midterms/]
8. Consortiumnews.com: Gareth Porter, 33 Trillion More Reasons Why The New York Times Gets it Wrong on Russia-gate . Further research shows The New York Times was even further off the mark in blaming Russian social media for Trump’s win. Facebook Said 80,000 Russian Posts Were Buried in 33 Trillion Facebook Offerings Over Two-Year Period Further Undermining NYT’s Case.
9. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, U.S. Midterm Elections and Their International Consequences.
10. Valdai Discussion CLub: Mikhail Troitskiy, Polarization in US Society Keeps Growing as Midterm Elections Approach.
11. Antiwar.com: Justin Raimondo, Whatever Happened to the Russia-gate ‘Scandal’? It fizzled, bigtime. [original.antiwar.com/justin/2018/11/04/whatever-happened-to-the-russia-gate-scandal/]
12. Washington Post: Two Russian lawmakers are monitoring integrity of midterm voting in the shadow of 2016 interference.
13. Awful Avalanche: Putin Crafts New Ideology for Russian Statehood – Part I. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/11/02/putin-crafts-new-ideology-for-russian-statehood-part-i/]
14. Awful Avalanche: Putin Crafts New Ideology for Russian Statehood – Part II. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/11/03/putin-crafts-new-ideology-for-russian-statehood-part-ii/]
15. Awful Avalanche: Putin Crafts New Ideology for Russian Statehood – Part III. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/11/04/putin-crafts-new-ideology-for-russian-statehood-part-iii/]
16. Vedomosti: Nearly Fifty Russian Orthodox Church Affiliates Awarded Presidential Grants. [vedomosti.ru/politics/articles/2018/10/31/785322-pochti-polsotni-svyazannih-organizatsii-poluchili-prezidentskie]
17. Paul Goble: Political Repressions Increasing Not Only Because of Putin But Also Because of Russian People, Vishnevsky Says.
18. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Analysts view impact of six external risk factors on Russian economy.
19. https://tomluongo.me: Tom Luongo, For Russia Change Comes SWIFT.
20. TASS: US will be affected by protectionism policy itself, Medvedev warns.
21. Financial Times: Nick Butler, Russian resources will be needed despite US sanctions. The energy majors show no sign of selling out their interests in the country.
22. TASS: US actions may destabilize oil market – senior Russian official.
23. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, Why America Can’t Play Russia off Against China. Moscow’s commentators appraise Bolton’s Kremlin visit.
24. Washington Times: L. Todd Wood, The drive to expand NATO is insanity.
25. www.rt.com: Robert Bridge, NATO membership for Ukraine & Georgia would bring out the bear in Russia. [rt.com/op-ed/442979-nato-russia-military-drills/]
26. Intellinews.com: Armenia pushes out Moscow-led military bloc chief ahead of general election.
27. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, “Curiouser and Curiouser!” Cried Alice as She Stared at the Door Handle. (re Skripals) [theblogmire.com/curiouser-and-curiouser-cried-alice-as-she-stared-at-the-door-handle/]