RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-193 :: Friday, 2 November 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#193 :: Friday, 2 November 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. The Daily Beast: Center for Public Integrity, The Pentagon Has Prepared a Cyberattack Against Russia. U.S. military hackers have been given the go-ahead to gain access to Russian cybersystems as part of potential retaliation for any meddling in America’s elections.
2. www.rt.com: Make GRU GRU again, Putin says as intelligence agency turns 100.
3. Intellinews.com: Russian savings rate drops to the lowest level in 15 years as Russian start to spend more freely.
4. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, In Russia, Putin Whistling Past The Graveyard.
5. Interfax: Kremlin not considering cancellation of ‘municipal filter’
6. Riddle: Marlene Laruelle, Putin the Geographer. Territory and Space as Part of Russia’s Rebranding. [ridl.io/en/putin-the-geographer/]
7. Intellinews.com: US overtakes Russia to become the world’s biggest oil producer.
8. TASS: Putin: authorities will do their best to make foreign investors feel comfortable in Russia.
9. www.rt.com: Russia’s gold reserves smash Soviet-era record as part of Moscow’s de-dollarization drive.
10. www.rt.com: Russia’s alternative to SWIFT payment system poised to eclipse the original – MP.
11. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, ASSUMPTIONS. [irrussianality.wordpress.com/2018/11/01/assumptions/]
12. The Calvert Journal: Howard Amos, Yevgeny Vodolazkin: Russia’s prize-winning novelist on Orthodoxy, death and playing with time. To mark the publication of Yevgeny Vodolazkin’s Solovyov and Larionov, his second novel to appear in English in under a year, The Calvert Journal sat down with the academic-turned-writer to talk about his literary success, the role of religion and the allure of the medieval world.
13. Interfax: Patriarch Kirill speaks out against Western-style globalization.
14. www.rt.com: ‘Romanovs are role models’: Kremlin hosts conference marking royal family martyrdom anniversary.
15. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, Anti-Russia Sanctions: A Fall Lull? [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/anti-russia-sanctions-a-fall-lull/]
16. Financial Times: Russia vows to help Iran counter US oil sanctions. Energy minister says Moscow will continue trading Tehran’s crude despite American restrictions.
17. Russia Matters: Dmitry Gorenburg, NATO’s Trident Juncture Exercise as a Deterrence Signal to Russia.
18. The National Interest: Alexey Khlebnikov, A Russian Pivot to Asia? Can Moscow balance the search for new partners in Asia while maintaing its existing relationship with the West?
19. Reuters: Russia Reaches Out to Afghan Leaders for Taliban Talks, Angering Kabul.
20. Intellinews.com: Russia imposes sanctions against Ukraine companies, businessmen, politicians.
21. TASS: Kommersant: How Russia’s countersanctions against Ukraine impact trade.
22. TASS: Russia’s retaliatory sanctions affect Poroshenko’s sponsors, expert says.
23. The New Cold War: Dmitry Kovalevich, October update: more legislation and bans to keep Poroshenko in power. [newcoldwar.org/october-update-more-legislation-and-bans-to-keep-poroshenko-in-power/]
24. Public Orthodoxy: Nicolai Petrov, IN UKRAINE, IS CONSTANTINOPLE RUSHING IN “WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD”?
25. Strategic Culture Foundation: Patrick Armstrong, American War Declaration.[strategic-culture.org/news/2018/10/22/american-war-declaration.html]
26. The Unz Review: The Saker, A Senior Russian Diplomat Confirms: “Russia Is Preparing for War” – Is Anybody Listening? [unz.com/tsaker/a-senior-russian-diplomat-confirms-russia-is-preparing-for-war-is-anybody-listening/]