RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-191 :: Wednesday, 31 October 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#191 :: Wednesday, 31 October 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. TASS: Migration to Russia exceeds one million: Influx offsets population decline.
2. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, BOOK OF THE YEAR PRIZE 2018. (Russian Hybrid Warfare: Resurgence and Politicisation by Ofer Fridman)
3. TASS: Putin thanks Russia’s religions for bolstering global spiritual bonds, warns against rifts.
4. Kremlin.ru: World Congress of Compatriots.
5. TASS: Russian public’s trust in elections grew significantly in past years – expert.
6. TASS: Putin calls for end to election rigging.
7. Kremlin.ru: Meeting on 25th anniversary of Russia’s electoral system.
8. Reuters: Russia, wary of U.S. sanctions, puts saving before growth.
9. TASS: Russian millionaires keep about 70% of their savings in foreign banks, study says.
10. Moscow Times: Russia’s Human Rights Sphere Has a Female Face. Away from the public eye, women are at the forefront of the fight against human rights abuses.
11. Washington Post: Amie Ferris-Rotman, In a strange twist of fate, now it’s Russian Jews praying for American Jews.
12. Rolling Stone: Matt Taibbi, Russia’s Biggest Problem Will Soon Be Ours. How do you solve an issue like xenophobia?
13. Russia in Global Affairs: Timofey Bordachev, Revisionism of Powers in the Changing Historical Context.Why States Change Their Foreign Policy Behavior on the Global Stage. (excerpt) [eng.globalaffairs.ru/number/Revisionism-of-Powers-in-the-Changing-Historical-Context-19802]
14. www.rt.com: US-China war looming? Russia bracing for conflict? Week of warmongering predictions by top officials. [rt.com/news/442686-looming-war-predictions-officials/]
15. Wall Street Journal: NATO Exercise Sends Warning to Russia, Message to Members. Largest show of force since Cold War shows clout to Moscow, cost of security to 29 bloc members.
16. Asia Times: Michael Klare, The new global tinderbox: It’s not your mother’s Cold War.
17. TASS: Trump to listen to his cabinet’s advice before deciding on INF Treaty – Defense secretary.
18. Aviation Week: Henry Sokolski, What We Are Getting Into By Getting Out Of INF.
19. www.rt.com: Cuban crisis 2.0? Moscow eyes military bases in Cuba after US INF pullout.
20. Strategic Culture Foundation: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Istanbul Summit on Syria Was a Success but Caveats Remain. [strategic-culture.org/news/2018/10/29/istanbul-summit-on-syria-was-a-success-but-caveats-remain.html]
21. TASS: Russian Defense Ministry warns of looming false flag ‘chemical attack’ in Syria.
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Boris Dolgov, Political Tools of the Syrian Peace Process.
23. Russia Insider: Rostislav Ishchenko . Russia Will Decide the Fate of Syria Without America. “…the war in Syria was won not only against terrorists, but also against the United States” [russia-insider.com/en/russia-will-decide-fate-syria-without-america/ri25241]
24. The American Interest: Robert Hamilton, Russia’s Syria Problem. The Russians are discovering that success on the battlefield doesn’t automatically translate to achievement of political goals.
25. Russian International Affairs Council: International Conference “Strategic Visions of Russia-India Relations and Changes in World Order”
26. The Hill: Trump faces Election Day deadline on Russia.
27. AP: Russia and West Clash Over Nov. 11 Elections in East Ukraine.
28. Intellinews.com: Russia prepares tit-for-tat sanction hit on Ukraine.
29. https://washingtonsblog.com: George Eliason, 4 Years Into the War–the Outlook for Lugansk People’s Republic. [washingtonsblog.com/2018/10/4-years-into-the-war-the-outlook-for-lugansk-peoples-republic.html]
30. Russia in Global Affairs: Georgia Kasianov, Russia and Ukraine: Forever Apart? The Two Countries at Loggerheads over “Common Past.” (excerpt) [eng.globalaffairs.ru/number/Russia-and-Ukraine-Forever-Apart-19808]