RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-172 :: Thursday, 20 September 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#172
Thursday, 20 September 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. New York Times: The Plot to Subvert an Election. Unraveling the Russia Story So Far. For two years, Americans have tried to absorb the details of the 2016 attack -hacked emails, social media fraud, suspected spies – and President Trump’s claims that it’s all a hoax. The Times explores what we know and what it means.
2. New York Times: A Timeline Showing the Full Scale of Russia’s Unprecedented Interference in the 2016 Election, and Its Aftermath.
3. Washington Examiner: Michael Barone, The air has seeped out of the Russia/collusion balloon.
4. Russia Beyond: What dire consequences will global warming wreck on Russia and the world? [rbth.com/science-and-tech/329165-global-warming-russia-climate-change]
5. Moscow Times: Russia’s Population Decreases for First Time in a Decade.
6. TASS: Women make up 43% of researchers in Russia vs 29% worldwide.
7. Kremlin.ru: Second Eurasian Women’s Forum.
8. Meduza: Russia is throwing out suspicious gubernatorial election results in Primorsky Krai.
9. Pravda.ru: Gubernatorial elections in Russia: Stop, cancel, start again.
10. Bear Market Brief: September Elections.
11. TASS: Detecting hate speech: Top court says not all ‘extremist’ likes can be reason for jail.
12. www.rt.com: Supreme Court speaks out against formal approach in trials over extremist internet reposts.
13. Bear Market Brief: Infrastructure spending gets big money bump.
14. Financial Times: Russia has positioned itself to be a global oil price-maker. Moscow’s influence set to grow further once US sanctions on Iranian exports begin.
15. Bloomberg: Russia Oil Production Jumps to a New Post-Soviet Record.
16. TASS: Russian PM does not rule out expansion of trade wars, sanctions in the next 6 years.
17. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Trump does about-face on Nord Stream 2 sanctions.
18. AP: World Anti-Doping Agency Reinstates Russia.
19. The Unz Review: Andrei Martyanov, The Shootdown of Russia’s IL-20. [unz.com/article/the-shootdown-of-russias-il-20/]
20. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Response to Il-20 tragedy unlikely, Kremlin needs Israel to contain Iran in Syria.
21. The National Interest: Paul Pillar, An Unending U.S. War in Syria?. Ignoring uncomfortable truths about the Syria conflict keeps getting in the way of sober policymaking.
22. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Suddenly, Putin Is Playing Nice in Syria. Trump’s willingness to confront the Assad regime has changed the balance of power.
23. www.paulcraigroberts.org: Paul Craig Roberts, Can Russia Survive Her “Partnerships”? Has Putin Made A Strategic Miscalculation? [paulcraigroberts.org/2018/09/18/can-russia-survive-her-partnerships-has-putin-made-a-strategic-miscalculation/]
24. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, GIFT TO THE SULTAN – TEXT OF RUSSIA-TURKEY AGREEMENT OF SEPTEMBER 17, 2018, ESTABLISHING TURKISH PROTECTORATE OF IDLIB. (excerpt) [johnhelmer.net/gift-to-the-sultan-text-of-russia-turkey-agreement-of-september-17-2018-establishing-turkish-protectorate-of-idlib/#more-19788]
25. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladimir Yevseyev, PROSPECTS OF SOLVING THE IDLIB PROBLEM. [valdaiclub.com/a/highlights/prospects-of-solving-the-idlib-problem/]
26. www.zerohedge.com: Trump Weighs In On The Single Worst Mistake In American History.
27. www.rt.com: Norway didn’t know much about Libya yet helped bomb it into chaos, state report finds. [rt.com/news/438683-norway-libya-war-report/]
28. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, CCTV Footage Shows Petrov & Boshirov Close to the Skripals – Only it’s Not at Mr Skripal’s House. (excerpt) [theblogmire.com/cctv-footage-shows-petrov-boshirov-close-to-the-skripals-only-its-not-at-mr-skripals-house/]
29. Interfax: Russia rejects reports of Skripal suspects being GRU agents.
30. Novaya Gazeta: Russian daily looks at unanswered questions in Skripal case.
31. TASS: Poroshenko admits most Ukrainians did not feel any improvement of living conditions
32. Awful Avalanche: Russian Holy War Heats Up – Again.[awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/09/20/russian-holy-war-heats-up-again/]
33. www.rt.com: Ukrainian region bans Russian language songs, films, books…and more. [rt.com/news/438852-ukraine-russian-culture-banned/]
34. Russia Beyond: Who started the Cold War? U.S. and Russian historians clash. [rbth.com/history/329163-who-started-cold-war]