RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-170 ::Tuesday, 18 September 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#170
Tuesday, 18 September 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.realclearpolitics.com: Woodward: No Evidence Of Trump-Russia Collusion, I Searched For Two Years.
2. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Electoral Fraud in Primorye. [unz.com/akarlin/electoral-fraud-in-primorye/]
3. RFE/RL: Tension Builds In Russian Far East Region After Disputed Vote Count.
4. www.rt.com: Russian stock market hits all-time high as ruble strengthens despite US sanctions pressure.
5. www.strategic-culture.org: Russia’s Eastern Economic Forum Wrap Up: De-Dollarization Tops Agenda. [strategic-culture.org/news/2018/09/15/russia-eastern-economic-forum-wrap-up-de-dollarization-tops-agenda.html]
6. TASS: Russian energy chief sees oil price subsiding to $50 per barrel for long term.
7. Intellinews.com: Russia-China trade turnover up 25.7% in January-August 2018.
8. Politico: Wesley Morgan, Russia’s military dalliance with China. The two countries are wrapping up joint war games but few see the signs of a real alliance.
9. TASS: Putin says Russia to improve security of military personnel in Syria following Il-20 crash.
10. Wall Street Journal: Russia Blames Israel for Loss of Plane Shot Down by Syria Air Defenses. Moscow said it reserved the right to ‘respond adequately’ to the loss.
11. Moon of Alabama: Syria – Israel Provocation Kills Russian Soldiers – Moscow Will Take Political Revenge. [moonofalabama.org/2018/09/syria-israel-provocation-kills-russian-soldiers-russia-will-take-political-revenge.html#more]
12. Washington Post: Jack Nassetta and Ethan Fecht, Russia is gearing up to misinform the U.S. public about Syria. Here’s our cheat sheet to identify Twitter trolls.
13. www.rt.com: Putin & Orban need each other more than ever, but do they dare come closer during Moscow talks?
14. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, MUTUAL DISBELIEF. (re MH17)
15. Video with English narration of MOD briefing re MH17. [rt.com/news/438596-mh17-downing-russian-briefing/ or: facebook.com/RTnews/videos/325968421542383/]
16. Asia Times: Pepe Escobar, Russia reveals the MH17 ‘smoking gun.’ Defense Ministry provides missile engine evidence, shifting blame to the Ukrainian military.
17. Dances With Bears: Max van der Werff, THE MH17 MISSILE GOES HOME TO UKRAINE.
18. UNIAN (Kyiv): Bellingcat founder: Russians misinterpret shadows and objects in JIT’s MH17-related videos.
20. www.rt.com: ‘Very important evidence’: MH17 missile’s serial numbers vital to investigation – analysts to RT. [rt.com/news/438679-mh17-important-evidence-investigation/]
21. TASS: Kommersant: Poroshenko terminates friendship treaty with Russia.
22. Russian International Affairs Council: Aleksandr Gushchin, The Launch of the Electoral Campaign in Ukraine Signals the Beginning of a Tumultuous Political Year.
23. www.rt.com: Moscow says Russia & Ukraine will ‘inevitably’ overcome crisis after government change in Kiev.
24. Awful Avalanche: Autocephalic Ukraine And The Big-Ass Schism – Part IV.
25. The Economist: Russia, Ukraine and Orthodoxy. Two Patriarchs clash, mirroring Russian-Ukrainian tensions. The row could increase support for Ukraine’s embattled president.
26. Foreign Policy: Linda Kinstler, The Corrupt Shall Inherit Ukraine. In a country where even the anti-corruption prosecutors abuse their power, it’s hard to say who the good guys are.
27. Kyiv Post: Graham Stack, Everything you know about Paul Manafort is wrong. “Manafort was one of the driving forces pushing Yanukovych towards signing the agreement with the EU. The Kremlin has every reason to hate him.”
28. Haaretz (Israel): Shmuel Herzfeld, Grave Robbers, Nazi Collaborators and Official Apathy: How Ukraine Is Erasing the Holocaust. At Janovska, the Auschwitz of Ukraine, I saw skulls, hypodermic needles and tons of trash. Looters desecrate mass graves of Jews, searching for gold; the sites’ histories are ‘revised’, overwritten by Christian and nationalist symbolism. This is why we should still care.
29. The Hill: Mark Penn, Time for sunshine on Trump-Russia investigation.
30. Lawfare: Suzanne Spaulding, Harvey Rishikof, How Putin Works to Weaken Faith in the Rule of Law and Our Justice System
31. Russia Beyond: Arseny Kalashnikoff, Meanwhile in the Motherland: Why is life in Moscow so surprising after a year in New York?
32. Harvard University Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies: Memorial Service for Professor Richard Pipes. September 21.