RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-169 :: Monday, 17 September 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#169
Monday, 17 September 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. American Intelligence.
2. International Monetary Fund (IMF): IMF Executive Board Concludes 2018 Article IV Consultation with the Russian Federation. [IMF supports Russian pension reforms]
3. TASS: Retirement age hike to boost GDP by 0.1 percentage points in 2019 – central bank.
4. Kennan Institute: BORIS GROZOVSKY AND MAXIM TRUDOLYUBOV, Capitalism the Kremlin Way. In his two decades in power, President Vladimir Putin has prevented Russia’s economy from going under and kept most of the ruling elite in place. The secret behind Putin’s remarkable course of stability is a public-private partnership of sorts, a business arrangement, in which the public side is represented by Putin and the private side by his friends and other individuals who were able to make special deals
5. Reuters: Russian Communists Say Election Stolen by Pro-Putin Candidate.
6. www.rt.com: Candidates trade rigging accusations as polls in Russia’s Far East almost end in a draw. [rt.com/politics/438600-communist-election-victory-russia-east/]
7. Carnegie Moscow Center: Tatyana Stanovaya, Russia’s Youtube Duel: Zolotov vs. Navalny. Zolotov’s video message to Alexei Navalny-a crude and highly personal address for an influential national security official-underscores the increasing incoherence of the authorities’ strategy for dealing with Navalny. More important, it points to the emergence of a state of “every man for himself” and the splintering of Vladimir Putin’s inner circle.
8. RFE/RL: The Hole Truth: U.S.-Russia Space Dustup Threatens Rare Frontier Of Cooperation.
9. TASS: WADA clarifies its stance regarding recommendation to reinstate RUSADA.
10. www.rt.com: US sanctions ‘bill from hell’ targeting Russian debt could backfire on Western allies – analyst.
11. EricMargolis.com: Eric Margolis, TRUMP’S RECKLESS HOSTILITY UNITES CHINA AND RUSSIA.
12. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Putin’s war games send signal to West, but Russia-China alliance unlikely. Ties between Moscow and Beijing have weighed heavily on Washington for decades, especially when relations between the US and Russia and China have chilled. We’re in such a chill again today.
13. Al Jazeera: J Berkshire Miller, Large war games distract from the complexity of China-Russia ties. Russia and China may have shared interests, but they are not on the verge of a traditional alliance.
14. TASS: Izvestia: Russian, Turkish leaders continue seeking common ground on Idlib.
15. www.rt.com: Erdogan meets Putin, and fate of Syria’s Idlib is at stake.
16. AP: Russian Meddling Abroad: Does Putin Pull All the Strings?
17. www.rt.com: Moscow slams Bellingcat for ‘leaking misinformation’ on Salisbury suspects from special services.
18. The Blog Mire: Rob Slane, Petrov, Boshirov and the Burden of Proof.[theblogmire.com/petrov-boshirov-and-the-burden-of-proof/]
19. Washington Post: Precious N. Chatterje-Doody and Rhys Crilley, How badly did Russia’s interview with the Skripal poisoning suspects backfire?
20. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Habakkuk to TTG on the Yeltsin period.
21. The Times (UK): Neil MacGregor, Putin the pious proves religion can be the most powerful weapon. For centuries, politicians have used holy symbols and shrines as a way of uniting their people and defining the enemy.
22. Interfax: Int’l investigators to study Russia’s new info on MH17 crash – statement.
23. www.rt.com: Serial numbers of missile that downed MH17 show it was produced in 1986, owned by Ukraine – Russia. [rt.com/news/438596-mh17-downing-russian-briefing/]
[Briefing video in Russian: russian.rt.com/russia/article/555044-boeing-minoborony-brifing]
24. TASS: Russia presents audio recording proving Ukraine’s complicity in MH17 tragedy.
25. Kyiv Post: Poroshenko signs decree to halt Russian-Ukrainian Friendship Treaty.
26. Awful Avalanche: Autocephalic Ukraine And The Big-Ass Schism – Part I. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/09/15/autocephalic-ukraine-and-the-big-ass-schism-part-i/]
26. Awful Avalanche: Autocephalic Ukraine And The Big-Ass Schism – Part II. [awfulavalanche.wordpress.com/2018/09/16/autocephalic-ukraine-and-the-big-ass-schism-part-ii/]
26. Awful Avalanche: Autocephalic Ukraine And The Big-Ass Schism – Part III.
29. www.opendemocracy.net: Andrii Fert, Spiritual capital: why Ukraine is breaking from Russia’s Orthodox Church. The Ukrainian government has promised its citizens a new, independent Orthodox Church that will unite Ukrainian believers. But bringing several denominations together is harder than you think. [Excerpt]
30. Reuters: Ukrainians Relive Bloodshed of Kiev’s Maidan in Virtual Reality.
31. Academia.edu: Ivan Katchanovski: The “Snipers’ Massacre ” on the Maidan in Ukraine: Video Appendix A.