RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-15 :: Monday, 22 January 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#15
Monday, 22 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Washington City Paper: How Are D.C.’s Russian Restaurants Faring in the Face of Tense U.S.-Russia Relations?
2. Gaidar Forum: Gaidar Forum experts analyze political trends and share forecasts.
3. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, Russia’s Presidential Election Runs Into Reality. Russians-and the world-will wake up on March 19 to find that not much has changed. But the clock counting down towards domestic and international crises will be running.
4. www.rt.com: ‘Of course Putin gets nervous, he is human’ – Press Secretary Peskov.
5. Between Two Worlds: The “Art” of an American Surviving in Small Town Russia: Hal Freeman, VLADIMIR PUTIN: THE EARLY YEARS.
6. Vesti.ru: Putin Visits Massive Graveyard Where His Family Was Buried During the Great Siege of Leningrad. Video: https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=2978827&cid=4441
7. Washington Post: After Putin’s icy dip, U.S. ambassador tries shirtless diplomacy.
[DJ: See also “U.S. Ambassador plunges into ice hole during Epiphany celebrations in Russia” https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/327323-us-ambassador-plunges-ice-hole]
8. The Times of Israel: Liberal Jewish politician emerging as main opposition challenger to Putin.With Alexei Navalny disqualified, long-time reformer Grigory Yavlinsky has b ecome most well-known figure running against Russian leader.
9. Meduza: Ksenia Sobchak has the signatures she needs to join Russia’s presidential race.
10. The Sunday Times (UK): Ksenia Sobchak, the It girl out to topple Putin. A former reality TV star insists she is no stooge of the president as she tours Russia stirring up support for a tilt at his crown.
11. www.rt.com: Constitutional Court crushes Navalny’s presidential ambitions.
12. Novaya Gazeta: Russian columnist criticises Navalny over row with Sobchak. (Yuliya Latynina)
13. Paul Goble: Russian Reformers Failed to Take into Consideration Russian Nationalism and Orthodoxy, Chubais Says.
14. Bear Market Blog: Tatiana Stanovaya, Friends in the New Term: What Awaits Putin’s Associates After 2018? Five rules for the state oligarchy.
15. www.rt.com: Russian ruble prepared for global expansion as dollar dependency drops.
16. Vesti.ru: Goldman Sachs: Russian Economy Is Doing Better Than Government Acknowledges. [Video: https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=2978925&cid=4441]
17. CNN.com: Russia faces 6 more years of stagnation under Putin.
18. Gaidar Forum: Russian Tax System: Vision of the Future discussion at Gaidar Forum.
19. www.rt.com: Russian gold reserves hit historic high, stockpiling record 223 tons last year.
20. Bear Market Brief: How to sanction-proof an economy.
22. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Russian Propaganda Machine: Much Ado About Little as Compared with Western Stratcomm (UPDATE) (excerpt)
23. Washington Post: A Sundance filmmaker has made a movie about the Russian propaganda machine, and it is terrifying.
24. www.rt.com: Wish I had direct line with Putin, but I don’t – RT Editor-in-Chief.
25. AP: Head of Russian Outlet RT Says US Foreign Agent Order Hurts.
26. PONARS Eurasia: Kimberly Marten, Explaining Russia’s Schizophrenic Policy toward the United States.
27. Russiafeed.com: Alexander Mercouris, Is Russia the safest country in Europe for Jews? Norwegian study confirms far lower incidents of anti-semitic violence in Russia than France, UK, Germany, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. http://russiafeed.com/confirmed-russia-safest-country-jews-europe/
28. AFP: Russia says West’s ‘Russiaphobia’ worse than during Cold War. Foreign minister Sergei Lavrov warned Moscow has ‘red lines’ that should be respected.
29. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview with Kommersant newspaper, January 21, 2018.
30. Russian International Affairs Council: Mark Entin and Ekaterina Entina, Concepts of Uncertainty and the Collision with Reality. http://russiancouncil.ru/en/analytics-and-comments/analytics/concepts-of-uncertainty-and-the-collision-with-reality-/
31. Wall Street Journal: Talks to Test Russian Stance on Ukraine. U.S. officials say outreach will explore whether Moscow wants to warm ties with the West and reduce economic pressure.
32. http://usforeignpolicy.blogs.lalibre.be: Gilbert Doctorow, The coming Russia-Ukraine War: update and analysis.
33. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, A New Peace Effort Is Needed in East Ukraine. A new Ukrainian law recognizes the demise of the Minsk agreements. This shouldn’t be the end of the road.
34. Valdai Discussion Club: WESTERN HISTORIANS: REVOLUTION OF 1917 IS ONE OF THE MAIN EVENTS OF THE 20TH CENTURY.
35. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Centenary of the Bolshevik Usurpation http://www.unz.com/akarlin/centenary-of-the-bolshevik-usurpation/
36. Wall Street Journal: Wm. Roger Louis, Review: Exit Russia, Enter America. In 1917 many exhausted world leaders believed the bitter fighting could easily drag on into 1920.
37. Sputnik: Busted! List of Upcoming Elections Russia Will Definitely Meddle In.
38. New York Times: Christy Wampole, What Is the Future of Speculative Journalism? It is neither true nor false. Perhaps that’s what we like about it.
39. Washington Post: In the crowd at Trump’s inauguration, members of Russia’s elite anticipated a thaw between Moscow and Washington.
40. New York Times: Republicans Claim Surveillance Power Abuses in Russia Inquiry.
41. Reuters: Twitter to Notify Users Exposed to Russian Propaganda During U.S. Elections.
42. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, THE CIA BULL IN GLENN SIMPSON’S RUSSIA SHOP.
43. New York magazine: Simon van Zuylen-Wood, Does This Man Know More Than Robert Mueller?. Glenn Greenwald’s war on the Russia investigation. (excerpt)