RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-13 :: Thursday, 18 January 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#13
Thursday, 18 January 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. AFP: Modern Russians cut back on drinking, smoking as fitness trend grows.
2. New York Times: Moscow Got 6 Minutes of Sunlight in December.
3. Vesti.ru: More Showman Than Statesman: Creme de la Creme of Russian Political Scene Analyze Trump’s First Year.
4. TASS: Putin calls to spare no effort to avoid 1941-1945 war tragedy.
5. TASS: Presidential spokesman to tell TV audience what Putin dislikes most.
6. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Government members.
7. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with participants of the Forum of Small Towns and Historical Settlements.
8. Gaidar Forum: Gaidar Forum experts discuss sustainable economic growth in Russia and the world.
9. Gaidar Forum: Gaidar Forum Experts Discussed 1917 Russian Revolution Lessons.
10. Gaidar Forum: Values and Virtues plenary discussion attended by Dmitry Medvedev.
11. Government.ru: The 9th Gaidar Forum. (speech by Medvedev)
12. TASS: Poll reveals most respected professions in Russia.
13. TASS: Russia’s National Guard vows to prevent unauthorized rallies during presidential election.
14. Bear Market Brief: Chris Jarmas, How will turnout turn out?
15. TASS: Rating of Russian Communist Party’s presidential candidate on decline – experts.
16. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Russia Elections 2018: The Grudinin Question.
17. www.rt.com: Yabloko founder Yavlinsky gathers enough signatures to face Putin in presidential race – activists.
19. www.opendemocracy.net: Andrey Kalikh, Hope for Russia’s hopeless elections. “I’m not participating in this shit” could become the main political slogan at Russia’s upcoming presidential elections.
20. Gazeta.ru: Russian editorial says calls for election boycott damaging to opposition.
21. Vedomosti: Russian pundit warns against driving Navalny underground. (Fyodor Krasheninnikov)
22. Off Guardian: Russian election 2018: why Navalny with 2% support & a criminal conviction is the West’s ‘only’ opposition to Putin.
23. Moscow Times: HRW Declares 2017 ‘Dark Year’ for Independent Voices in Russia.
Russian election 2018: why Navalny with 2% support & a criminal conviction is the West’s ‘only’ opposition to Putin
24. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Freedom House: Human Rights Abuse Against Satirists.
25. Bloomberg: Russia Taking Wheat Crown Recalls Communist-Era Dominance. Black Sea becomes new focus of wheat market as U.S. share of exports declines.
26. The Unz Review: The Saker, Why Is Putin “Allowing” Israel to Bomb Syria? (excerpt re Putin’s ambitions)
27. Intellinews.com: Mark Galeotti, Is Putin’s trolling “making Russia great again”?
28. TASS: Kommersant: EU lawmakers split on ‘Russian threat’
29. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Democrats Are Repudiating FDR’s Precedent of Détente With Russia. By criminalizing alleged “contacts with the Kremlin”-and by demonizing Russia itself-today’s Democrats are becoming the party of the new and more perilous Cold War.
30. Andrei Liakhov: Cohen on Putin.
31. The American Interest: Kirk Bennett, RUSSIA AND THE WEST. Little Hope for “Little Russia.” The alienation of Ukrainians and the bleak prospects for rebranding them as “Little Russians” belie the notion of Russian success in Ukraine.
32. The National Interest: Richard Burt and Jon Wolfsthal, America and Russia May Find Themselves in a Nuclear Arms Race Once Again. Despite the Trump administration’s decision to treat it as an afterthought, arms control is not dead.
33. The Unz Report: Andrei Martyanov, The Russo-Chinese “Alliance” Revisited.
34. Russia Insider: Dmitry Orlov, Sanctions, Shmanctions! ” …as hydrocarbon reserves outside of Russia are draw down, …markets will break. Then governments throughout much of the world, perhaps even including the US, will come to the realization that they simply can’t get by without Russian energy.”
35. Russia Beyond: In which aspects of everyday life does Russia outclass the U.S.?
36. Russia Beyond: 5 things Soviet people dreamed of having.
37. In Moscow’s Shadows: Mark Galeotti, ‘The Death of Stalin’ – arguably all the more accurate and honest for not pretending to be either.
38. AP: Ukraine passes bill to get occupied regions back from Russia.
39. Interfax: Ukrainian bill on Donbas reintegration puts an end to Minsk Agreements – Kosachyov.
40. Forbes.com: Twitter To Tell You How Much Fake Election News You Were Fed By Russia.
41. Sputnik: Simonyan: Is It Fair That Russia Cannot Voice Its Position to the World?
42. www.rt.com: Russian influence threatens ‘low-level educated population’ worldwide – Senate witness. (Clint Watts)
43. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, GLENN SIMPSON CHASES HIS SHADOW INTO A BLACK HOLE.