RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2018-114 :: Friday, 22 June 2018
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2018-#114 :: Friday, 22 June 2018
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Russians’ interest in World War Two on the rise, poll shows.
2. Moscow Times: Football Philosophers: Russians In the Commentating Box. Russia’s best football commentators mine the game for the meaning of life.
3. TASS: Russian footballers take over 300 doping tests in 2018. All of the samples came out clean.
4. Deutsche Welle: 5 ways the football World Cup has transformed Moscow – for now. “This is a Moscow I don’t know” has become the rallying cry of the Russian capital’s residents since the World Cup started. The tournament has seemingly pressed pause on laws – and has changed the city’s public space.
5. Financial Times: Russia scores with emerging market fund managers and football fans. Despite US sanctions, there is increasing optimism about the World Cup host.
6. Financial Times: Simon Kuper, Why most Russians couldn’t care less about Putin or football. ‘The idea of the president as a puppeteer manipulating his people gives him too much credit’
7. Meduza: Regulators have revoked their accreditation of the Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences, one of Russia’s last major private colleges.
8. RFE/RL: Putin Advisers Question Legality Of Prosecution Of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
9. Bloomberg: Russia-Saudi Plans for Super-OPEC Could Reshape Global Oil Order.
10. Christian Scicence Monitor: Fred Weir, As OPEC watches nervously, Russia and Saudi Arabia create a new axis – of oil. Russia is trying to be friends with everyone at once, and wielding growing influence.
11. Bear Market Brief: US sanctions on Iran create pressure point.
12. www.rt.com: Russia gets rid of US Treasury securities and buys gold.
13. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Experts view reasons for Russia selling off US Treasury bonds.
14. TASS: Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russia-US: Breaking a vicious circle.
15. Asia Times: M.K.Bhadrakumar, Trump riding high and set to roll the dice for a summit with Putin.With the US leader at perhaps his strongest point so far, an announcement is expected soon on a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, which could be held in the middle of July after the NATO summit.
16. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Britain in panic as Trump-Putin summit looms. [Text with links http://theduran.com/britain-in-panic-as-trump-putin-summit-looms/]
17. TASS: Risk of nuclear weapons use still as high as during Cold War, Russian expert says.
18. Washington Post: Alexander Vershbow, Trump’s ‘grand bargain’ with Russia is an illusion.
19. www.rt.com: Neil Clark, Trump-Putin summit should be welcomed, not feared.
20. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: New Syrian government forces’ offensive can be a headache for Russia.
21. The National Interest: Anna Borshchevskaya, Could Russia Flip Egypt? Throughout the Cold War, Egypt was a prize, too important to cast aside-and today it is sought after.
22. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maidan Shootings.
23. Kyiv Post: Denys Krasnikov, Honest History: Treaty of Peryaslav – In 1654, Ukraine becomes Russian vassal for 337 years.
24. Russia Beyond: Spy thriller ‘Red Sparrow’ serves a powerful dose of hatred that brings cheer to Russophobes.
25. Newsweek.com: AMERICANS ARE INCREASINGLY SCARED OF CHINA AND RUSSIA, POLL SUGGESTS.
26. The Weekly Standard: Eric Felten, Victoria Nuland Can’t Keep Her Steele Story Straight.
27. www.rt.com: Democrats’ obsession with Russiagate will allow ‘Republican wrecking ball’ to dismantle US – Chomsky.