RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-97 :: Tuesday, 23 May 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#97
Tuesday, 23 May 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Youtube, rap and protest: The lives and loves of Russian teenagers. Since childhood they have lived in the information era. They love video blogs and smartphones, and try to look for the truth at the same time. Generation Z is growing up in Russia. They resemble neither their older relatives nor their foreign peers.
2. www.rt.com: Top pollster rules out possibility of large-scale youth protests in Russia
3. New York Times: Anastasia Edel, Moscow’s Real Estate Roulette.
4. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Is Russia the world’s heaviest-drinking country? Improved living standards, growing health consciousness and an active campaign by the state has led to reduced per capita alcohol consumption in the country. Residents of some of Russia’s neighbors tend to consumer more alcohol on average than Russians.
5. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 18 MAY 2017.
6. TASS: World Bank predicts investments in Russia’s fixed assets to surge to 2% in 2017.
7. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, RUSSIA AND THE WEST: HOW TO DEAL WITH THE THREAT OF EXTREMISM.
8. Rethinking Russia: Primakov: Russia Should Help Islamic World Meet Modern Challenges.
9. Russian International Affairs Council/EastWest Institute: Suggestions on Russia-U.S. Cooperation in Cybersecurity.
10. Interfax: Moscow calls for avoiding escalation in Korean Peninsula – Peskov.
11. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, The Key to North Korea Is Russia. Unfortunately, the idea of a grand bargain with Russia is less popular in Washington than ever before.
12. The American Interest: Kirk Bennett, NO PUPPET.Russia House (of Cards).The prima facie improbability of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.
13. The American Conservative: Ted Galen Carpenter, The Myopic Campaign to Make Russia a Pariah. Reporting on the Oval Office conversation is the latest salvo.
14. The Nation: James Carden, Did Trump Commit a Crime in Sharing Intelligence With Moscow? The idea that these leaks to the Post by “current and former U.S. officials” are in the service of US national security interests strains credulity. They manifestly are not.
15. Washington Examiner: Media prepare for chance that Trump-Russia probe reveals ‘nothing’
16. Washington Post: The absurd conspiracy theory around Seth Rich’s death causes real harm. The absurd right-wing conspiracy theory surrounding the former Democratic National Committee staffer is causing a family real anguish.
17. Deadline Hollywood: Oliver Stone Goes Face To Face With Putin: “You’ll See A Different Point Of View”
18. Russia Insider: US Magazines Compete to See Who Hates Putin the Most. The Tour de France of circus freak journalism.
19. Russia Insider: Report: Putin Using Network of Street Urchins to Terrorize Europe. Russia has an extensive “criminal network” in Europe which it uses to launder money and murder people, according to very reliable sources.
20. Interfax: LPR says it’s been almost 3 weeks since Kyiv stopped supplying water to self-proclaimed republic’s territory.
21. Vedomosti: Editorial views reaction to Ukraine ban on Russian websites.
22. Eurasianet.org: Backlash Grows Against Ukraine’s Attempts to Block Russian Social Media.
23. Vineyard of the Saker: Scott Humor, Riding the “Chechen Gays” scandal on a Unicorn.
24. Intellinews.com: CONFERENCE CALL: Europe slowly wakes up to Russian disinformation threat.
25. Brookings Institution: Steven Pifer, The growing Russian military threat in Europe.
26. RAND Corporation: Russian Views of the International Order.