RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-89 :: Tuesday, 9 May 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#89
Tuesday, 9 May 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, Turning Gen. Flynn into Road Kill. Although no actual evidence was presented, two ex-Obama administration officials destroyed the reputation of retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, portraying him as a liar and a potential traitor.
2. The National Interest: Daniel McCarthy, Sally Yates Failed to Land a Blow. The former acting attorney general’s testimony didn’t include anything new.
3. Medium.com: Jeffrey Carr, Intelligence and the Imaginary Other. (re failures of the DNC’s CrowdStrike consultant)
4. Twitter: Donald J. Trump, The Russia-Trump collusion story is a total hoax, when will this taxpayer funded charade end?
5. Wired.com: Andy Greenberg, Don’t Pin the Macron Email Hack on Russia Just Yet.
6. www.rt.com: Putin says WW2 started due to disunity of world’s leading countries, calls on world to unite.
7. Kremlin.ru: Military parade on Red Square.
8. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Why Russians hold the Victory Day Parade every year.
9. Awful Avalanche: Victory Day In Russia – One Vignette.
10. Gazeta.ru: Reasons for low turnout at April protests discussed.
11. Seminar (India): Henry Hale, What it means to rule like Putin.
12. Wall Street Journal: In Russia, Leaked Documents Rattle the Kremlin. Leaks of purloined information shape Russian politics even as Kremlin denies interfering in U.S. election.
13. Russia Insider: Paul Goncharoff, Persistence and Some Banya: How to Make It in Russian Business. The vestiges of getting to know the person with whom you want to transact business remains strong in Russia, perhaps more so than in the US or Western Europe.
14. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Turkey Builds A Wall; Russians Move In.
15. Rasmussen Reports: Negative Views of Putin Reach New High. (excerpt)
16. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Rex Tillerson: a ‘realist’ in Washington? In first address to State Department and before meeting Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov US Secretary of State Tillerson repudiates neocon ideas and supports a ‘realist’ foreign policy.
17. TASS: Understanding reached at meeting of Russian, U.S. senior diplomats.
18. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky and Jim Jatras, Finally: Hopeful Signs of Realism between Washington and Moscow.
19. Atlantic Council: Alexander Vershbow, How Trump Can Fix US-Russia Ties.
20. www.dailybeast.com: James Warren, How The West Contained Russian Aggressions. America’s man in Moscow was the first to recommend strategic containment of Russian leaders. It’s an idea whose time has perhaps come again with Putin’s meddling in the U.S. election. (re George Kennan)
21. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, PATHETIC. (re Canadian troops in Latvia)
22. www.al-monitor.com: Putin changes conversation on Syria with cease-fire plan.
23. Video: Briefing of the Russian Ministry of Defense on the principles of the creation of de-escalation zones on the territory of Syria (Subtitled in English)
24. Ron Paul Institute: Daniel McAdams, Neocon Anne Applebaum: Give Me Money to Fight ‘Russian Disinformation’!
25. Paul Goble: Putin Regime Now Entering Its Fifth and Final Phase, Yakovenko Says.