RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-86 :: Thursday, 4 May 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#86
Thursday, 4 May 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. SC Magazine: Jeff Schilling, Difficulty Level – “EXTREME”: Why is attribution such a challenge?
2. New York Post: Yaron Steinbuch, Americans wrongly think Russians look miserable: study.
3. CNBC.com: FBI’s Comey: Russia is ‘greatest threat of any nation on Earth’ to US democratic process.
4. www.rt.com: NATO returning to ‘historic role as war fighting command’ to counter Russia – top US general.
5. Kremlin.ru: Joint meeting of the State Council and the Commission for Monitoring Targeted Socioeconomic Development Indicators.
6. Kremlin.ru: Unveiling of monument to Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich.
7. www.rt.com: Govt reports successful execution of Putin’s ‘May Orders’ program.
8. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Do Russians still trust television? Public largely mistrusts radio and newspapers, but print remains popular.
9. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Alexey Ten Percent. (Or More). [with comments]
10. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russia’s opposition figure ‘cannot run for president.’ Alexei Navalny has stated that he will continue his battle to obtain the right to run for president in the 2018 elections and will appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.
11. Bloomberg: Russia Gives Putin Critic Navalny Passport to Travel Abroad.
12. Politkom.ru: Kremlin’s uncertainty over dealing with Navalny viewed. (Tatyana Stanovaya)
13. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Experts discuss Russian premier’s potential dismissal. (re Medvedev)
14. Market Realist: Russia’s GDP Is Back to Positive Territory.
15. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladislav Belov, MERKEL IN RUSSIA: IN SEARCH OF A COMMON GROUND.
16. Intellinews.com: Putin hails return to “full format” relations with Turkey.
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladimir Yevseyev, SYRIA: HOW THE RUSSIAN PRESENCE IN AFRIN WILL AFFECT RELATIONS WITH TURKEY.
18. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Russia’s ‘de-escalation zones’ in Syria: a serious proposal, a diplomatic ploy or a trap? Russia’s proposed ‘de-escalation zones’ in Syria are obviously intended as an alternative to the US proposal for ‘safe havens’
19. Sputnik: Al-Jazeera Films False Flag Fake Chemical Attack Against Civilians in Syria.
20. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Pundit sees Japan as better bet for Russia than China. (Vladislav Inozemtsev)
21. Politico.eu: Russian ambassador: Kremlin isn’t trying to destabilize the EU. The West doesn’t necessarily have superior values, Vladimir Chizhov said.
22. www.rt.com: Most Russians want Le Pen as next French president, poll shows.
23. Russia Beyond the Headlines: What else can the U.S. do to limit Russia’s ‘influence’? Russia’s so-called “information campaign” and its impact on elections in France and Germany may be the focus of Senate’s new initiative.
24. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Again, Is the Possibility of a Trump-Putin Détente Really Dead? “Kremlingate” is said to have killed any prospect for Trump administration cooperation with Putin’s Kremlin, but the May 2 phone talk between the two leaders showed it is still alive.
25. New York Times: Russia, Feeling Slighted by Trump, Seeks a Reset.
26. www.foreignpolicy.com: As Russia Investigation Widens, U.S. Lawmakers Get Rare Access to Raw Intel. The Senate Intel Committee takes a field trip to CIA headquarters.
27. The Unz Report: Anatoly Karlin, Highlights from My /r/Russia AMA. (Ask Me Anything)
28. The Intercept Mehdi Hasan, Why Do North Koreans Hate Us? One Reason – They Remember the Korean War.