RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-82 :: Saturday, 29 April 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#82
Saturday, 29 April 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Over 80% of Russians are still satisfied with Putin’s work.
2. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, It’s Been A Surprisingly Good Week For Russia.
3. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Russians happier than ever poll shows. As President Putin’s approval ratings remain at stratospheric levels, a VTsIOM poll shows that against a background of an improving economy most Russians are happy with their lives.
4. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Minister of Labour and Social Protection Maxim Topilin. (re population issues)
5. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Government members.
6. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, DISCOURSE ANALYSIS.
7. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Chechnya: Russia’s Black Hole, Putin’s Achilles’ Heel, Part 1.
8. Politkom.ru: Russian pundit offers advice on effective anti-terror fight. (Oleg Gromov)
9. Russian Council on International Affairs: Igor Yushkov, Sanctions vs. Cheap Oil: What is More Dreadful for Russia’s Fuel & Energy Complex?
10. Sputnik: Russian Economy Has Grown Immune to Western Sanctions – UN Special Rapporteur.
11. Social Europe: Ray Kinsella, We Need To Engage With Putin’s Russia.
12. Russia Matters: Paul Saunders, Russia and America Don’t Need Each Other as Enemies.
13. Valdai Discussion Club: RUSSIA-US RELATIONS: CRISIS AS A NORM.
14. CNN.com: Jill Dougherty, Rhetoric isn’t working — Trump needs to speak with Putin.
15. Reuters: Josh Cohen, Why Trump should mend ties with Russia.
16. www.rt.com: Easing of info war with West not in sight, battle for minds to intensify – Russian intel chief.
17. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Beneath the waves: Has a sunken Russian ship been sabotaged? Turkish divers could have found secret reconnaissance equipment and encryption codes on board The Liman after it mysteriously plummeted towards the sea bed in Turkish waters.
18. Lowy Institute (Australia): Alexander Gabuev, China and Russia: Friends with strategic benefits.
19. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Nikolay Murashkin, Russia-Japan summit: Putin, Abe inch closer towards normalizing ties. At their latest meeting summit, Vladimir Putin and Shinzo Abe did not trumpet any grand designs but managed to follow through on practical projects that transpired during prior talks at the ministerial level.
20. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, More NYT ‘Spin’ on the Syria-Sarin Case. The New York Times is at it again with another slanted report on the April 4 chemical weapons incident in Syria, applying ridicule rather than reason to prevent a real evaluation of this war-or-peace moment.
21. http://theduran.com: Angela Borozna, Mind the culture gap: the ‘Russian soul’ meets ‘Big Mac’ culture. If Russians and Americans learned to understand our cultural differences, it could ease diplomatic tensions a great deal.
22. New York Times Style Magazine: Alexander Fury, Back in the U.S.S.R.: Russia’s Fashion Resurgence.
23. Washington Post editorial: Russia can’t tell the difference between Jehovah’s Witnesses and al-Qaeda. The Christian denomination is banned, in another setback to basic rights under Mr. Putin.
24. The Unz Review: The Saker, Russia on the Long and Difficult Path to True Civilizational Identity.
25. Moscow Times: Putin and Poroshenko Still Talk Regularly, But Kiev Would Rather Ukrainians Didn’t Know.
26. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, The Sun’s silly claim Kiev is Russian masks bigger issue with resurgent fascism.
27. Awful Avalanche: Odessa: Shame and Deception.
28. The Exiled: Mark Ames, RUSSIA BLOG, DAY 3: ABOUT THAT CREDIT SUISSE RUSSIA INEQUALITY REPORT.