RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-80 :: Tuesday, 25 April 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#80
Tuesday, 25 April 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Transcript of AP interview with Trump. (excerpt re CrowdStrike)
2. Interfax: Some 37% of Russians believe state fails to meet obligations to people – poll.
3. Get Russia: Moscow Mulls Lifting Visa Requirements for Short Visits.
4. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Council of Legislators.
5. Kremlin.ru: Meeting of the Russian Geographical Society Board of Trustees.
6. The Nation: Nadezda Azhgikhina, A New Organization Is Battling Russia’s Culture of Impunity. To end the attacks on journalists, activists, and writers, Freedom of Speech is standing for the best traditions of Russian civil society.
7. www.rt.com: Strengthening Russian military among Putin’s key achievements – poll.
8. Moscow Times: New Poll Says Putin’s ‘Crimean Consensus’ Is Fading.
9. The Guardian (UK): Unequal Russia: is anger stirring in the global capital of inequality? With the richest 10% owning 87% of all the country’s wealth, Russia is rated the most unequal of the world’s major economies. Amid falling oil prices and a wave of protests, Shaun Walker asks how Russians really feel about life’s inequalities.
10. GlobalVoices: Kevin Rothrock, How Alexey Navalny Abandoned Russian Nationalism.
11. Washington Post: A shortage of women in technology? Not in Russia.
12. Valdai Discussion Club: CONDITION OF THE RUSSIAN CONSUMER: RECOVERY ON THE HORIZON?
13. TASS: Russia’s new export positions show steady growth, expert says.
14. Intellinews.com: Aaron Schwartzbaum, BEAR MARKET BRIEF: Russia’s 20/20 tax vision.
15. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Why does ExxonMobil need Russia’s Arctic region? Even though the price of extracting oil in the Arctic is very expensive, ExxonMobil still wants to strengthen its position in the Russian market.
16. European Council on Foreign Relations: Anna Arutunyan, Why Putin won’t get tough on Kadyrov.
17. www.rt.com: EU-Russia ‘strategic partnership’ desired but surreal amid sanctions – Mogherini after Lavrov talks.
18. www.rt.com: Top US military commander accuses Russia of arming Taliban.
19. TASS: Lavrov slams US ‘Russia-arms-Taliban’ remarks as ‘red herring’ to divert focus from Syria.
20. Izvestia: Georgy Asatryan, Russia responds to allegations of links to terrorists. In run-up to international meeting in Russian capital, Washington and NATO attempt to blame Moscow for their own failures in Afghanistan.
21. Newsweek.com: COLIN P. CLARKE AND WILLIAM COURTNEY, HOW THE WEST CAN PRESS PUTIN TO KEEP ASSAD IN ORDER.
22. Deutsche Welle: Can Abe make any headway in territorial row with Russia? Japan’s prime minister changes tactic to focus on joint economic development of the contested territories instead of the remote possibility of the return of islands seized by Soviet forces in 1945. Julian Ryall reports.
23. Sputnik: ‘Europe’s Headache’: Washington Sends Signal to Kiev by Cutting Aid.
24. AP: Renowned Soviet Avant-Garde Art Collection Comes to Moscow.
25. Awful Avalanche: Eugene Onegin: Tchaikovsky Conquers the Met – Part I.
26. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov’s interview with Kommersant newspaper, published 19 April 2017.
27. IHS Market: Study Shows Islamic State’s Primary Opponent in Syria Is Government Forces, IHS Markit Says.
28. Moon of Alabama: Chlorine, Not Sarin, Was Used In The Khan Sheikhun Incident.