RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-8 :: Monday, 9 January 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#8
Monday, 9 January 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
Intelligence community analyzes Kremlin propaganda:
January 6, 2017
“Background to ‘Assessing Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections’: The Analytic Process and Cyber Incident Attribution”
“Russia — Kremlin’s TV Seeks To Influence Politics, Fuel Discontent in US”
“This annex was originally published on 11 December 2012 by the Open Source Center, now the Open Source Enterprise.” dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf
Check in with Michael McFaul here: msnbc.com/hardball/watch/trump-this-is-a-political-witch-hunt-849510979977
In this issue
1. TASS: Press Review: Russia may cut oil supplies to Belarus and US sends marines to Afghanistan.
2. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Higher School of Economics Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov.
3. www.rt.com: Most Russians report improved standards of living, general content with life.
4. Le Monde diplomatique: Serge Halimi, All Russian puppets?
5. ABC News: ‘This Week’ Transcript: President Barack Obama. (excerpt re Russia)
6. TASS: Russian ombudsman pledges to control observance of jailed activist’s rights.
7. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Russian pundit see growing “turbulence in the system.” (Valery Solovey)
8. BBC Monitoring: Russian press reacts to US intel report on hacking.
9. Sputnik: Shocker: ‘Proof’ of Russia’s Trump Support Was Compiled During Obama’s Election.
10. Ellen Mickiewicz: RT.
10a. Wall Street Journal: Russian Media Chief Dismisses U.S. Report on Propaganda Efforts. Head of RT news channel calls American intelligence assessment on election interference ‘comedy hit of the year’
11. Russia Insider: An Open Letter to the CIA from the Head of RT, Margarita Simonyan.
12. Wall Street Journal editorial: Bonfire of the Intelligence Vanities. Putin is the winner as Washington melts down over Russian hacking.
13. TASS: Kremlin calls US intelligence report on hacker attacks ‘amateurishly emotional’
14. Transitions Online: Thousands of U.S. Troops En Route to Eastern Europe. Hundreds of tanks, fighting vehicles, and attack helicopters to be deployed in unprecedented operation.
15. www.rt.com: Neil Clark, 2016: A year of Russian bear-baiting.
16. The Guardian (UK): Evgeny Morozov, Moral panic over fake news hides the real enemy – the digital giants. Claims that Russia is behind the political shocks of 2016 ignore the corrupting influence of digital capitalism
17. Salon.com: Fernanda Eberstadt, Pussy Riot members, journalist Masha Gessen on the Putin-Trump bromance: “Shortest honeymoon in history”
18. RFE/RL: Brian Whitmore, Putin’s New Year.
19. Moscow Times: Lift Russian Sanctions for ‘Positive Developments’ in Ukraine – OSCE Chair.
20. Kyiv Post: Motyl, US political science professor, says Ukraine must let go of Crimea and Donbas.
21. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, A tale of two countries: Russia vs Ukraine in 2017.